Anxiety causing physical symptoms?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I seem to have had a really bad lapse on anxiety. I know my Vitamin D is 22 which it should be at least 30 if not 50 but I have had 24/7 dizziness for 8 weeks but now after taking D supplements and Magnesium supplements I have gotten muscle weakness in the arms, restless legs at night, pain in the legs when moving around and feel like I won't be able to do anything before I know it.

I only just turned 24 and had previously had tension headaches all year last year that only got better once I left from school and took a trip to Europe for 17 days. I felt great and was having caffiene constantly throughout my summer. I am not sure my D deficiency is rearing its ugly head right now in more manifestation as my sleep has been inconsistent and I don't know what I should or shouldn't be eating. I do get cold when I do not eat enough. 

The restless legs are the most bothersome part because I know if I cannot sleep at night I won't be good for the day. I've had at least one mental meltdown per week at the beginning of each week and feels like anytime I try something to get better it just gets worse and worse and I'm downward spiraling.

I posted in the dizziness forum about this but was looking maybe to see if this is just anxiety manifestation causing weird physical symptoms all over or not?

Thanks

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi I have been going through this for 2 months now as well. The arm weakness/heaviness is what is bothering me the most. I have been in bed pretty much the entire 2 months not doing anything at all and very disconnected and withdrawn. I started taking vitamin d and magnesium hinking it would help but its not at all. Im not sure if it's making it worse. I am extremely tense I notice I have my shoulders up (especially my right) forward and tensed I think bc I'm right handed So i favor that side constantly. I notice and try to relax it and then it automatically goes tensed again. I have poor posture as well and now if I am lifting my arm up to put dishes away in the cupboard my arm feels tired really quickly like i was lifting weights. My doctor said it was bc of the anxiety and being so tense. I am always googling sending myself into a panic thinking I have a serious neurological disease. 8 can't cope anymore. It's so hard to believe anxiety can cause all this. I tense my left arm too and it doesnt feel as tired. My arms also have a burning sensation as well
    • Posted

Tracy

Thanks for the reply.

Anxiety really does hurt on many levels. I have tried to get out as much as possible but this does help me in knowing I have very similar issues being right handed and poor postured.

In terms of supplements. How many units and was it D3? Also were you taking magnesium glycinate citrate?

Have you tried any medication before? I have tried some first generation SSRIs but those did not work for me. I am going to be trying what is called Delpin which is an l methylfolate supplement. Expensive but it is a part of the B complex.

Do you happen to also have any GI stuff? I do suffer a bit of IBS.

Hopefully we can work through this together and find something that may help both of us.

• Posted

Hi, yes I was taking D3 and a really good vitamin b complex and I was taking magnesium glycinate. I also am taking sertraline bc I was feeling so bad and so desperate to feel better I couldn't cope anymore so I gave in to try an ssri. I almost gave up bc i was so nauseous and sick for the first week but I stuck with it and just increased the dose 4 days ago. My anxiety has increased again since increasing the dose and i have no appetite. My shoulder and arm is also bothering me alot the last few days probably bc my anxiety has increased I'm even more tense. Does your arm feel weak and fatigued as well? Like it will get tired quick when raising or using it?
    • Posted

hey dhode i have somatisation problems too. Used to be very intense but have decreased a lot. 

I used to suffer from IBS .I had about 2-3 months about 4 years ago but i got over it and was completely better.It was very difficult that period.

This year i had some gyno problems and suffered a lot of pain of a condition called bartholin cysts.I am very scared it will happen again and so i have a pain in the genitals although the infection is over for 2 months.

Because of this pain i suffered of ypochondriasis trembling burning headackes chest pain i could hear my whole body .

It was hell but after a month i am almost healed have some tension and burning feelings but dont affect my daily life.

I still feel this pain at the genitals because i still have the fear of infection and pain but hope i get over it soon .It is at least annoying.

But all the other symptoms faded importantly after 1 month .I was prescribed Ladose half a pill a day. During the pain i also needed Xanax and antiepileptics but i am much .better now.

I hope we are all fully recovered soon .Take care

• Posted

tracy,

My arm feels fatigued as soon as I get up. It is in my upper arms where I feel it and any activity has a weird feeling in the body.

I took some methylB12 with methylfolate last night but I am having a bad reaction to it so I know I cannot do a methylation protocl yet. I am having more anxiety because of symptoms just shifting left and right and I was hoping to resolve these without drugs but I might have to give in.

• Posted

My arm feels fatigued as soon as I get up as well and it is mostly in my upper arm and shoulder. I have noticed sometimes and I can't exactly pin point if it's a certain position or if I'm tensed at the time but I have sometimes today for example noticed my hand felt weird almost like my fingers wanted to be bent and closed a little and the bottom part of my arm somwtimes feels fatigued too.

I didn't want to take meds it her and I tried to suffer for 6 weeks before I couldn't take it anymore and just wanted to do anything to feel better and get my life back.

• Posted

Your dixxiness is not your vit D levels. It could be anxiety levels, hormonal levels, inner ear issues or eye issues. could be from a medication you take (prescription or over the counter)as well.im assuming you have had a exam with a doctor, if you havent you should to rule out everything other then stress. An eye exam would also be a very good and important idea and note to the eye doctor you are dizzy a lot so he gives you a very thourough exam. After your exams and if you are told it is anxiety and anxiety does cause dizziness as well some fresh holy basil chopped up and eat about one forth a cuo a day. Its healthy but has medicinal qualitis and is calming. Giner is another fantastic thing to learn to love. It helps with dixxiness and calms the belly. You can get pickled ginger from store or japanese resturants or buy fresh and cut slices and boil in a tea. Tons of recipies on pinterest and the net. I do both. They even sell candied ginger. Learn to like it. Lasly log your foods and how you feel. You could have a food allergy or intolerance which could make you feel ill.that would effect your belly too.
  • Posted

So an update.

I visited an opthamologist and he did not notice anything wrong. The prescription was slightly changed and my angle was changed to 180 rather than 178 so that might help with the dizziness.

I tried a small amount of craniosacral which has now made my tinnitus raging that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. That does mean something physical is screwey but I am not sure exactly where but it is driving me absolutely nuts. If this means my anxiety is driven and my body hasn't relaxed at all then we have found a source issues.

I am likely going to go on sertraline again and see what happens. 

• Posted

Latest update, now having lovely metallic taste in the mouth. I am not sure what is going on and have been taking epsom salt baths daily with baking soda. 
  • Posted

I have severe anxiety that manifests in foot pain with burning.  It has baffled all my doctors until I saw a psychiatrist.  She said my mental stress was coming out in a physical way.  After tests of every imaginable kind, my docs did not know this and was still thinking it was 'nerve damage' or 'all in my head'.  After seeing the psychiatrist, I finally came across a med that helps.  When I am stressed, my feet hurt horribly and I end up taking the max dose of my medication.  When I am not stressed, I don't even think about taking the meds.  I have other medical issues but this one has driven me to near suicide. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.