Anxiety/Citalopram

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there,

I have suffered from anxiety/panic attacks for about 15 years now. I have been on citalopram for roughly 13 years (10 or 20mg). I've had my ups and downs. In August my anxiety was really bad and since then it has been a roller coaster sad 5 weeks ago I was still edgy and have become extremely sensitive to noise so for the first time ever I went up to 30mg. 1st week was strange and the 10 days after that were ok but since I have felt very anxious and had a bad panic attack last Saturday. For the last month I have felt shaky, thirsty, anxious, sooo tired, sweating at night, feeling like I was to scream so frustrated I feel to have this, blurry vision... I spoke to my pharmacist this morning who tested me for diabetes which it's not smile and thinks that 30mg might be too much and that I should go down to 25mg. What do you think? I didn't managed to get to see a GP today but I think I'll go down on them. Luckily this time I can still eat as when it gets very bad I just can't eat and lose weight quickly and can't stand any noise, bright lights...

I have to say that I'm starting to feel anxious as well as we are going away to the states on Boxing Day and I hate flying and im so so desperate to feel better!! ATM I just feel numb sad but kind of tearful in the last 2 days.

Anyone feeling like this? Experiencing the same? I find it harder and harder to cope with. I just wanna be happy.

Any suggestions or tips?

Many thanks x

1 like, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

30 mg was too much for Mr ..terrible sweating and insomnia..if you were ok on 20mg of cit perhaps your GP could give you another AD in conjunction with the cit ...seems that the higher dose is not for you ..zi too go to the Uzs next year and it can feel daunting..if you ask your GP for another drug to help with the 20mg of cit ,hopefully it will do the trick..good luck 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I do understand the noise intolerance, I even thought I might have some form of Autism because I felt so distressed by certain types of noises.  I never thought it might be the cit, so maybe it was.  People around me would just laugh at me because I would get so stressed at loud bangs or children screaming and I honestly had to run out of supermarkets and such at times because it would freak me so much.  Good advice from Pat to think about reducing dose and if still anxious asking doc for a supplementary meds to assist short term.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Loxie,

Yes noise is a real issue, loud music in cars, neighbours or screaming children really distresses me sad it's horrible. I have now reduced my dose to 25mg, it's only been a couple of days but I'm sweating less at night and feel a tad less anxious. I really need to be 100% before Christmas! I hope you are ok. X

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up