Anxiety / citalopram and alcohol

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been on citalopram 20mg for years for anxiety and it kept it at bay. Then 3 to 4 months ago anxiety appeared and it was awful and doc increased meds to 30mg. 3 weeks ago it came back with a vengeance! Took severe anxiety attack and felt awful. Had to take a few days off work. I was in a right state. Doctor put me up to 40mg and last week felt a good bit better until I went on a night out and had about 6 vodkas been ill Sunday and today. Has anyone else experienced this? Will it go away? I only drink once a month on a night out.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

it would be best to not drink for 4-8 weeks after an increase in dose, as your body/head needs to adjust and get used to it.  sometimes on certain meds the effects of alcohol are increased, including worse hangovers or anxiety the next day etc, so if possible, if eg. drinking vodka, try to drink less,  eg. with vodka and coke  dont get doubles, just get singles and drink them slowly, no need to throw them back fast all night  smile
    • Posted

Thanks for your advice. Yes it was like I have a horrible hangover and nerves in stomach bad. Hope they go soon.
  • Posted

Hi Elaine...unfortunately I'm exactly the same if I drink too much. With myself it lasts a good few days and I always think 'never again'!! Like yourself I'm not a massive drinker...but I do like a blow out every now and then!! Ive noticed if I drink wine I feel dreadful...from the second I open my eyes the following day...for about 4 days...then gradually I start to feel better again! I'm also on 30 mg...and citalopram has been a life saver for me! You will get to no your limits I recon...and the anxiety after drink eases over time as you learn you're only feeling this way because of the alcohol...if that makes sense!! Hope you're feeling better soon huni 👍🏻

• Posted

Hi Claire thank you so much for your reply. I normally only drink single vodkas. 3 days have passed and not as anxious now thankfully but not normal either. When I was on 20mg I could drink with no side effects. So hopefully in time I'll be able to drink again. Maybe in a month I'll try having half of what I normally have. It's not worth feeling so bad 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.