Anxiety currently has the better of me!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've currently been suffer with my anxiety for 3 months now and feel like its just getting worse! I've lost 2 stone as food isn't something I seem to be too interested in at the moment(which isn't like me at all) over the past week I experienced my first panic attack and had experienced another 2 after that. I feel like I'm instantly going to throw up, I can't breath, shake like crazy and my become clammy. When I feel my anxiety come on I try really hard concentrating on positive thoughts but sometimes it's too powerful to control. I currently have a rescue spray that takes the edge off but I was wondering if anyone can give me tips or different methods they use to calm them down please someone help me I feel so terrified to leave my home and start back at universitysad

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

It will be all right. What I normally do when I start to get and anxiety attack is flood myself with good stuff, stuff to distract me with. I normally put on a funny podcast, listen to some good music. Just stuff like that. If you can't do that then try some breathing exercises to calm yourself down and control your heart rate a bit. Good luck, you are not alone. Remember to eat.

• Posted

Thank you I will try that next time. I really do try and think of all the positive things in the world and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Is there anything you take to calm you down or things I can look online for to help me

• Posted

I don't take anything to calm myself down, I kinda just ride through it and breath. Personally when I try to just think happy thoughts it works for a little bit then it kinda transformed into not so happy thoughts so now I just try to find distractions, things to keep my mind off of it. It is all about controlling your mind in the end for me, nudge it away from the bad stuff.

• Posted

Ask your GP if He can arrange some relaxation Exersises I use one called the Alexander Technique, The one they use at this time is the Mindfulness Technique it seems to cover various other techniques to keep people calm

In the past they were doing one called the Maxwell Technique, I was having some councilling for my Depression and I became quite good at it

I am able to control my breathing and also my pulse etc.

There are several books on Mindfulness, as mentioned before I use a different system

BOB

• Posted

Coloring, journaling about positives, walking or gossiping on the phone with a friend always helps me enough to calm myself.. Have you tried lavender? On etsy, they have anti anxiety oil in lavender. You put it on your temples and wrists when you feel the anxiety coming on, works wonders. Do you see a counselor or are you on meds?
    • Posted

I've never heard of that with the lavender. Do you buy it fresh or where do you get it from? I'm trying to have the confident to get a conuselor I will do it but I just feel quite scared. I'm currently taking quiet life and I have rescue day and night spray.

• Posted

We have Lavenda outside in the garden by the back door. Generally when passing we rub our hands over the plant, this puts the smell of the plant on our hands, very calming

BOB

• Posted

I get mine off of the Etsy website. You can buy scented lavender bath soap, lotion, etc though at any store
  • Posted

what is it you are anxious about at uni?
    • Posted

Just the thought of being there makes me feel anxious and I haven't been or a while so like sitting in a lecture

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.