Anxiety & depression

Posted , 3 users are following.

Im new to this forum, in the past year I have had a few life changes and up until a few weeks ago I thought I was coping ok then it hit me like a thunderbolti was so down I went to my Gp and she put me on 10mg citalopram I am on day 8 and still feel so sad and want to be on my own I have lost weight due to having no appetite, can't get motivated into doing anything. The mornings are the worst I have to drag myself out of bed .Will it get better in time and will I get my old self back

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You should check out the thread on this Web site called 'anyone not had any side effects on citalopram'

A lot of people post on this one and I have found it very helpful since starting on citalopram 😊

• Posted

Hi Jean

The answer is yes, you will get back to being your old self again.  Depression is a horrible illness but the medication will help you get back in your feet again, even if you can't see it at the moment.  The side effects of this medication can be quite debilitating initially, but they'll start to wear off in time and you'll begin to feel better.  Lack of appetite is another side effect and that should return to normal soon too.  It can take weeks/months for some people so don't feel too disheartened if you don't see immediate results.  The medication will be working in the background and you should feel it kick in eventually.

Mornings used to be my worst times too, but keep on persevering with the medication and you'll begin to feel better.

K x

• Posted

Hello kate

thanks for your words of encouragement it's good to know other people have been here and eventually come out the other side .Been at my lowest so I tell myself it can only get better x

• Posted

Hi Jean,

5 months down the line on 40mg and I am starting to get me old self back, healthier (could do with some more exercise!!!) and apart from the odd daily downer, for about an hour, things are getting better, in fact I didn't have a downer yesterday!. Side effects all basically gone, but I know I may get them as I (hopefully all being the ok) start reducing Cita very gradually in about two months time.

We have all had similar or more days like yours, but as a wise person has already said persevere it will be worth it.

Good thing about this forum it is about the best place for help, advice, support and some loverly peeps to discuss even the weather with!

Welcome!

Regards,

David

• Posted

Hello david

yes I agree this forum does help knowing other people are going through the same it's encouraging 

jean

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.