Anxiety/ Depression

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello Ladies...Well this peri doesn't seem to be letting up. It is really affecting my mind. I've been waking up with extreme anxiety/ depression ..I started on antidepressant and I've only taken it for 2 days. I only took a piece of the pill not even the whole pill. But I seriously think it's really affecting my mind worse. I don't know what to do.its very difficult to be this way daily. I haven't had a period since Nov. My body and mind seem uncontrollable. I thought the anxiety med would help but seem to worsen my mind. Should i try the hormone patch? My Dr called in a patch for me very low dosage.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary, I sympathise with you - I have been very anxious since the whole menopause thing started. Now, it's about 3 years since my last period and although I'm fine now in general, the anxiety hasn't lessened.

I didn't want to start with meds from the doctor but I found one thing which works for me, and actually really helps.

Evening Primrose Oil 1000mg capsules, 2 a day, has been great. I don't know exactly how they work but they do. I took them for over 2 weeks before I noticed a difference, and it's definitely real. because any time I've stopped them then I feel very anxious again within a week or two.

Obviously they might not work for everyone but it might be worth trying? At the moment Tesco sell them for £4.50 for a 90 capsule tub, but they are on 3 for 2 offer, so £9 for 3 tubs.

Good luck if you decide to try them!

• Posted

Hello

I have the exact same thing. I wake up and just want to cry.

My GYN also called in a low dose patch for me. She suggested that or starting an antidepressant, for that I would have to see my regular doctor.

The place in peri I am at is: 56 years old, no regular periods but spotted a couple months back so she said I have to start the year count over again. Have had all symptoms you can imagine, but the depression/anxiety is the worst!

Has anyone used the patch? I am afraid.

Also, going to my regular doctor next week. I guess I will make my decision with his help on which to choose (antidepressant or HRT patch)

ANY ADVICE?

• Posted

i am afraid to use the hrt's because they increase the risk of cancer but i am on a antidepressant and it definatly helps with my depression and anxieties

• Posted

Would you be willing to offer the antidepressant you are on?

I know particular ones will work better for PMS, menopause etc.

My doctor visit is next week. My gyn advised an antidepressant but doesnt write the scripts. She only wrote the script for the HRT patch. (she mentioned zoloft but I know that's an older one and there are newer antidepressants out there)

If anyone would offer which antidepressant they take (and it helps) it would be much appreciated.

Believe me ANY help is appreciated at this time.

• Posted

It's paxil. But I've tried mirtzapine and others in the passed.

• Posted

I'm sorry that you are going through this! im 43 and been going through peri since i was 35. I had to go on anxiety pills at 35 due to peri. Take your meds and give them a chance to work they definatly help

• Posted

Hi Mary

I've never been able to tolerate anti depressants, they make me way worse at the start and then I'm afraid to continue. It depends on what you're taking of course, but I think you push on for a few weeks and you'll start to feel better. The doctor told me to stop if I was having dark thoughts so keep an eye and get advice, maybe there's a different one you can try. Good luck love xx

• Posted

That's me Sassyr meds don't seem to work well for me ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.