Anxiety / Depression and Starting CBT - Any experiences ?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Ive used other forums , however i think this may be better for my questions , I suffer with anxiety and depression and have panic attacks. I have tried sertraline , mirtazipine now on venlafaxine at 150mg ( recently doubled from 75mg) - I had been waiting to hear bk from a CBT referal which i did this week . I have my first consultation next week on the phone , im absolutely terrified, I have had to have a fair bit of time off work , a 6 week stint and the odd day here and there , work are good and i generally can just do what i feel i can , I have to have a meeting next week to document everything , which ive had to get medical records for etc . I dont know anythign about the CBT , what do i tell them ? its hard as i have a fear of talking on the phone unless its a certain handful of people so this is a huge issue for me.

Also ive recently niticed byu the evening im mega agitated , i felt so anxious and agitated i didnt realise ive gauged all my arms by scraching whilst watching tv sad 

I also have got worse with cleaning / bleaching and quite obsessed with writing lists , and re writing for instance if i write a ' to do list ' eg. Hoover , polish , mop --- i then may polish , so rather than cross off ' polish' i re- write the list with the 2 remaining and so forth  I even write down if i have just one thing to do !! - its not until i stop and think i relaise im doing it sad 

im finding i cant relax until everything is done , but because i feel so low getting things done is so hard -s o its such a vicious circle sad 

im terrified of the cbt , and dunno how long it will take etc sad 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I've had cbt treatment before and know how u feel but believe me it does make u feel better after a few sessions and they make u feel at ease and don't pressure u into telling them anything u don't want to. Just try to rember they are there to help u and aren't against u, talking to someone about everything will help not only get things off your chest but help alleviate your symptoms and how to control your negative thoughts, at the end of the treatment u will finalise realise what it is that triggers your anxiety and depression.

I've been there and unfortunately am going through it all again after a year and half so if u need anyone to talk to, I am here, message me anytime and everyone on here will help too. You are not alone.

• Posted

Thank you so much , its good to know its helped you , sorry to hear its happenign again for you tho, I cant explain , altho you prob know what i mean when i say about feeling agitated , I was wondering if its the AD's wearing off , but they are prolonged release so shouldnt be , i havent got docs until 15th  , originally couldnt get an apt , but when i was in there yest gettigninfo for work , my gp was calling in another patient and se me , after that patient he had gone to reception to ask what id wanted as theyd left him a note to say i couldnt get apt and he phoned to say he ' unblocked' one of his to see me , i feel so shattered but cant sleep either , ive got to work all day tomorrow too .

im a single mum too , and just had a long term relationship breakdown so its snowballing and i just feel so alone and i dunno just in a horrible place , i have to be brave and put on a face all the time in front of family and work ppl ( onnly some know ) and a few friends know but i just want to be back to me. 

• Posted

Yes I know what u mean, I was always nervous beforehand but always felt better afterwards, sometimes it is draining because u are getting everything out in the open, but it's worth it in the end.

I'm sorry to hear u are struggling at the moment but totally know how u feel, anxiety and depression is a horrible thing to deal with and at the time u feel so down and anxious that I feel there is no light at the end of the tunnel but there is it just takes time, the tablets do help but it's just frustrating knowing they have side effects but once these wear off u will be in a better place. You are lucky that your work understand and are supportive, just concentrate on getting better. Hopefully your friends and family are helping out with looking after your kid, that can't be easy to deal with everything else u have been feeling.

• Posted

Sarah, CBT is great. You'll love it. It will help you to cope.  It will give you a sense of control over things you now have no control over - (your emotions). CBT will help you challenge thoughts and misperceptions. CBT will help you realize and recognize when you are having a thought distortion - not based on reality but on your own perception.  Don't worry about it. They know what they're doing and will help you. Trust. 
  • Posted

Only a couple of work ppl know and my best friend. Dont get any help with my son. My mum thinks im just stressed, if i tell her shell constantly hound me asking questions but i like to do things in my own time. So easier to let her think im just stressed. Ive been on AdS since dec.

The cbt referral hss taken so long, i don't even fully understand what it is and what happens. I have no time to see gp before hand to discuss either due to sch holidays, bank hols and work. I know the 1st one is assessment on phone they said takes 30 _45 mins. I need to speak to work incase apts are in work time but the initial bringing a conversation up i struggle with but i need to tell myself itll be ok. Easier said than done lol. Ive been so cack this eve i don't even want to go in tomorrow sad but i know i have to. X

• Posted

I sure if u told your mum she would help out and understand it's hard for u.

Cbt is basically learning techniques on how to control your negative thoughts and feelings and getting to the bottom of cause of your anxiety and depression. It will be hard to begin with but will get easier. Keep strong and positive smile

• Posted

CBT is just a therapy to teach you a different way of thinking like Hollyworrier said. They do not shock you, or make you do anything you do not feel comfortable doing. For me it is easier to talk on the phone than in person. Talk to them just like you have on here. It is a stranger, and they do not judge you. One thing that helps to stop the scratching is to put a rubber band on your wrist. Big enough that it won't cut off your circulation. When you start feeling agitated, pop it on your wrist. I am not sure exactly why it helps, but it does. You have a lot of stress in your life, and are carrying a heavy load. The therapy will also help you learn to not stress so much, and how to relax. After you go a couple of times, you will wonder what you were so afraid of. You can do this!!! We have faith in you wink
  • Posted

CBT is just discussing how you trigger your anxiety and deoression and finding alternative ways of framing them in your mind and discussing your illness, if done correctly you should feel totally at ease.

Im just coming off Venlefaxine as no longer working fully for me as ive been in them for yonks, currently taking Anafranil which is one of the older tricyclics.

Venlefaxine is a great anti depressant.

Good luck. Neil 

• Posted

Thank you , well worked all day today , wasnt going to go in as felt really low aswell as anxious all day , slept awful . Decided to go in as need to tryan dbe focused , well after about 20 min of being there i felt sooo anxious , drained and tense I just couldnt focus  then a collegue asked me what i was doing ? i had been rubbing / scratching my inner elbows without relaising , theve bled now argh , i ended up putting my jacket on to stop me doing it. I ve started to feel slightly better since being home I have gp on 15th too but i think i need to go before hand , but my gp is on leave next week , i really dont want to see another one sad - I spoke to my manager r.e cbt , she has said if they are in work time or days thats fine and i can swap shifts or something so thats a weight off my mind i suppose I have a meeting at work in 3 weeks re long term illness etc and i have some time off over the holidays , with a couple of days being 'me' days ... just want to start feeling normal , like everyone does on here xx 
    • Posted

Oh, I can assure you that we do not all feel normal here. We are here to get advice and help from others with the same problems or illness. Just letting you know you are not alone smile
  • Posted

Been through a programme of CBT recently. The chap who I did it with was excellent and he really did want to help. Really is nothing to worry about at all. They are there to help, they wouldn't be in that profession otherwise.

CBT itself is very simple and you will see this once you start it. Mostly it will involve trying to break those visious cycles you are talking about. Also to challenge and accept what you are feeling.

PM if you want any specifics.

• Posted

Thank you , i recieved the info thrrough the post to do , and something to fill out , i havent looked at it yet but will do later on smile Thank you ladies i really appreciate it xx 
  • Posted

have had CBT in the past very good but you must be honest and open that way you will feel a lot better In time. disguss every thing thats on your mind remember its private and confidetial 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.