Anxiety/depression and working

Posted , 4 users are following.

I sometimes have thoughts that I want to quit my job and just stay at home with my anxiety and depression because it feels too much.

When I deal with people at work I feel I need to pretend that everything is fine when it's not! I deal with managers, directors, team leaders, shift leaders all day long and I bet none of them can tell that anything is wrong with me. I'm a pro at hiding it but it's so draining.

Im on the verge of quitting my job with nothing lined up. I won't though as something inside me won't let me. As much as I don't want to go in work each day I have always managed to struggle in.

Quitting my job would make a bad situation worse anyway, rent, bills, my precious broadband cost for my beloved PS4 etc...

Does anyone else struggle with work? Holding down a job or feeling terrible when you are there?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

yeah indeed, working with depression and anxiety sure is no easy task. ive thought many times that it would be easier to just quit when things get tough. but like everyone theres bills to pay and food to put on the table, theres very few people id imagine who could just up and quit a job.  being off sick isnt much of a help either, when things are long term it just ends up causing problems in work.  is a tough decision,
    • Posted

What do you do then to get by? Just ride it out?
    • Posted

I spend as much time in therapy as I can, anxiety and depression don't generally go away without treatment, and pills for me are just a sticking plaster.
  • Posted

I have also been dealing with on and off dizzy spells almost a year now and no doctor will look into it cause I have anxiety so they always put it off to just that but it really freaks me out its almost as it I'm going to fall over or the room is spinning and yes mine is worst at work somehow that makes me feel a little better cause I tell myseft if it wasn't my anxiety it wouldn't go away
    • Posted

I get dizzy too,and to be honest it probably is anxiety. Anxiety causes so many issues that we can't accept while they are happening, but when the anxiety is managed a bit better,the physical things really do calm down
    • Posted

Its so hard to believe it can cause so much like I also will have these pains in my head or pressure and that will send me into a freak out as well but that's how mine works I will have a symptom for months then I'll develop another and will not focus on that one as much anymore I feel like im missing out on my life cause of anxiety
  • Posted

Wow, I really could have written this (except the PS4 part)

I was signed off by my GP for a month January 2015, which helped, as people realised I did have a problem and I needed help even though I might not admit it.

Have you shared this with anyone at work? HR etc...?

I've got a GP appointment tomorrow, as my depression/anxiety is back again (must be winter!) I'm wondering whether to medicate, as it may help even me out in the long-term.

Please share how you feel with a trusted colleague or HR, HR are there to help.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Carol, thanks for the reply!

Never really spoken with anyone at work to be honest. I have the assumption that I will be looked at differently and I like to carry the image that everything is fine and I'm strong. If it ever did come to the point where I couldn't cope I think I would confess all and ask for help rather than quit!

I bet people at work would have their own stories about their struggles or family members struggles if I spoke about it...

Good luck with the meds if you decide to start them. I have always been pro-meds and believe they should be used.. As an ex-girlfriend put it to me 'Why struggle on when you don't need too!'

Oh and stop being a hater and get yourself a PS4 smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.