Anxiety/depression hindering relationship

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have battled with severe anxiety and depression since I was very young after 3 years of cancer and chemotherapy. It seemed to have worsened during college and after graduation and moving back home I finally accepted the fact I needed help and began to take a small dose of medication which has improved my thought processes quite a bit. Unfortunately, I still struggle so much with my odd and what most feel to be quiet personality in my workplace which is a constant and stressful inner struggle for me. I finally after many many years have only the 2nd really boyfriend (I am 28) and we are completely in love I have no doubt. However I find that I have no desire to return calls, texts, or become excited to spend time with him. I honestly care deeply for him but am afraid my stress and depression is taking over all my happiness that I COULD have. I have to focus all my mental strength just on getting through the workday that I have none when it's all over. I'm so exhausted. All I want to do is sleep on the weekends. I want to WANT to do more but I just can't. I am so incredibly and terribly at my wits end. Please someone help.

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Katie .. have you spoken to your dr about how your feeling?  I can so relate to not wanting contact with anyone and just lying snuggled up in my bed .. believe it or not the meds I was taking was making me like that they weren't helping at all!

Have you spoken to your dr about how you're feeling and that maybe you need a stronger dose or a different type of medication .. took me quite alot of different meds to find the one that best suited me!  Are you also on anxiety meds as quite often depression and anxiety are combined altho I can tell when I need a boost with my anxiety.  My dr prescribes me valium for use when I need an extra lift.

You're not alone out there I'm guessing most of us on here have been thru what your describing .. I still like to have an afternoon nap/rest when I'm home which is alot as I don't work.  My worst time of day is the middle of the afternoon!  Okay getting of point here .. you apparently are very lucky as your boyfriend seems to understand seen how you haven't mentioned anything wrong in your relationship .. but if you could get the dosage right or onto maybe a med that better suits you .. you will find that you start to want to do things which would be great for you!  I remember I used to make excuses so we wouldn't have to go to party's etc... hated doing it but just new I couldn't cope as I wasn't coping at home.

I'll have you in my thoughts and so hope you find a rememdy soon that suits you... unfortunately it can take time as we have to weaned on and off different meds if we are put on them.

Take care... Tracey x

• Posted

Just noticed you stated you were suffering with anxiety I hope you're on something for that as well as depression...

• Posted

I tend to stray from topic and never get to my point which is what I did. But I find that he wants to do things on weekends and I don't, I'd rather catch up on the sleep I never got during the week. For instance, I never slept last night. I have been up all night until this morning and work a stressful healthcare job.

My medication works very well when it comes to the recurring obsessive thought processes however the few and rare depressive bouts I have stemming from feelings of dread I do have clonopin for. I do not like to take it though because I won't remember turning my alarm(s) off in the morning and I'll be super late for work. It's the lowest dose too. I've attempted taking even half and still.

My boyfriend does not understand completely being I am not comfortable yet telling him exactly what's going on. You never know how someone will react truly in their head to information with such stigma and to which they don't understand.

• Posted

Hi Katie .. if you won't remember things you could do what I do and leave post it notes everywhere (I was in an accident and suffer with severe short term memory loss).

I think it would be good to know where you stand with your boyfriend and explain to him what's going on .. if he truly loves you he'll be okay and understand what you're going thru or if he doesn't fully understand about depression/anxiety he could easily read up on it .. no excuses these days with the internet.  I think if I was in your situation I'd like to know how he feels about it and as I said if he truly cares he will understand where you're coming from, otherwise it may look like you are pushing him away... just a thought!

Take care... Tracey x

• Posted

Hi Katie. I have paranoid schizophrenia and have all the sysmpoms that go with it, including anxiety and depression so name but a few. I'm on a medly of drugs to help me, along with weekly therapy.

My antipsychotic drugs are working somewhat so I've been able to get back to work. I can relate to what you're saying about the working day, mine exhausts every ounce of life that I have within me. The only way I can also cope with work is to go straight to bed as soon as I get home. I can't face my family, noise, lights.. and need to be away from it all after the chaos of the day, and also because I'm so extremely exhausted. My weekends are also spent in bed trying to recover from the week and deal with the feer and impending doom of the week to come. I feel for you and hope you find some relief

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.