Anxiety, depression, hopelessness, coping at christmas..

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone, 

So I'm a 20 year old student. I have anxiety and depression. It's been pretty severe the past few months. I've been going to acute day hospital, but it hasn't made anything better. I take mirtazapine, propanolol and amisulpride, but they only take the edge off a bit. 

I've been feeling pretty hopeless. I don't think things will get better. I took an overdose a week ago but it wasn't enough to do much. I still feel suicidal. 

I had a chat with my care coordinator today and she pretty much told me I need to actually try to get better (because it's got to the stage where I can't be bothered to try anymore). I'm just finding this hard, because I can't imagine things getting better.

Part of the anxiety I really struggle with is feeling sick, and this stops me eating properly. This normally gets worse when I go home, and especially also at Christmas when I'm expected to be around lots of people and eat lots of food. I was wondering how people cope at Christmas? Does anyone else have these problems?

Thanks for listening.

Amy

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amy what support do you have? Friends family? What do fe is the main cause of these issues? I've been suffering but what I've realised is you have to just try And live with these feelings and focus on as much of the good as possible, do you work? The best thing is to stay busy with these that make you feel good, where all on here to help.

X

• Posted

MY anxiety is the same has it nearly 10 years and am 26. I get stomach anxiety like sever case of butterflies and knotting that causes me frantic cleaning to calm it I take citalopram and used to take trazadone and prozac. I don't really cope with mime just try my best to calm the fire in my stomach. X
    • Posted

I'm exact same as you charlene, have terrible stomach anxiety and even the meds dont help. I try keep busy at work and doinging DIY, but like you, it isn't really controlling it, just try to cope, it sucks
    • Posted

I seem to constantly feel guiltly for past choices or for who iam or care too much what people think of me. I get nervous sweats when in a controlled area ie cues anywhere where there is no quick exit. It ruined my 6 year relationship cause totally went of sex touching or comforting was constantly adgetated to say the least. I have my stomach cramping as I type. My anxiety never leaves but least it let's me know am alive. Alcohol used to help but the next day anxiety was not worth it. I make excuses not to be in confined areas with friends ie dinners, birthdays, or pre drinks. Infact ave lost nearly all friends because the way my anxiety makes me feel. I actually only feel 100% safe in my house. On my own with kids or very very close family members. Anxiety controls me, my life and my outlook. All I've learned to do in 10 years is how to stop the fire in my stomach completely destroying my soul. Sounds all a bit to heavy but it's true. Sometimes it's crippling for no reason with manic petrified of the worst happening even though it probably won't x
  • Posted

Hi Amy, I'm finding things very difficult myself especially this time of year.

Nobody can expect you to do anything, if you don't want to eat lots simply nibble and graze at stuff, you don't have to be around people but it would be better if you were but limit the time to as long as you want.

Depression and anxiety takes time to lift and you have a part to play so just do small, easy things even if it's for 5 minutes a day at first.

Neil 

• Posted

hi Amy,I am of your age I literally feel the same I eat too less because I think eating too much makes us sick plus the same anxiety and depression when I am anxious I think why I am anxious when I am not I think why I am not it is difficult to think things will get better because everything feels so hopeless I think we are only happy thinking about our past how we faced the situation and its now a memory we are just afraid facing a situation which we could have avoided and avoided all the problems linked to it we are just afraid of the uncertainty which lies in the future nothing else I hope u feel better reading this

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.