Anxiety Disorder- Acute symptoms

Posted , 34 users are following.

Hello! I am a 21 year old female from Greece and I would like to share my anxiety disorder experience with you, in the search of, I don't know... Answers maybe... It all started 6 months ago when I woke up a Saturday morning. I had already dropped out of college for over a year because of financial problems, so I already had depression, since I lost my friends and my daily routine after quitting. About an hour after I woke up, I started having migraine with aura ( you get blurry vision and you get kind of blind from one eye, for 10 minutes or so) That happened 3 times in a course of a week. The doctors said it was nothing and it would never happen to me again. About 10 days later, I was watching tv and right there on the spot was the moment where the rest of my life begun. I started feeling light headed and it just wouldn't go away. I stayed up all night panicking, feeling dizzy and the next morning it started getting worse and worse. That was when drowsiness appeared. I felt like my brain was blurry and I couldn't concentrate. My dizziness had started to get unbearable. A few days after that, and after popping some Valerian daily, I got Tinnitus that until today, April the 7th, has not left my ears, for even a second. I got more and more anxious about my condition that I started having panic attacks, accompanied with me wanting to faint. I did many blood tests, but they all came out clean. not even the slightest thing wrong. I decided to go to a neurologist, believing that with my symptoms that started to get worse ( limb numbness, nightmares) were caused my MS, cancer etc. He did some simple tests to me. He gave me Benzodiazepines and I took 15mg a day. I won't lie to you, I felt brand new. But as soon as the box was finished I started feeling like shit again. I went again and he gave me Benzo again plus Fluoxetine. I took roughly 60 mg of those, per day. My life changed ( except from the tinnitus) and I felt really good from day 1. I started therapy as well, but dropped out after 10 sessions, because I hated my therapist :P Three months later, I started having a burning feeling in my throat when I ingested the Fluoxetine. My doctor was not really understanding. I told him that I couldn't bear it but he kept telling me to take it. So I stayed with the Benzo and changed a doctor. Little did I know, Benzodiazepines are very addictive and I had started to feel dependent on them. I went to a neurologist- acupuncturist and she lowered the Benzo to 5mg a day, plus acupuncture . I started having withdrawal symptoms ( 50 days ago) , that were even worse than the ones I had in the first place. I felt like a junkie. I started having flu symptoms, chest pains, my heart skipped beats and even the slightest trigger of anxiety made me crazy. I started having burning feelings in my esophagus when I took the Benzo, so I had to stop it too. Now I'm taking these crap herb pills, that don't really work. Anyway, I feel like no one really understands me. Everyone tells me to calm down, take it easy, but truly, I know that being in this forum and reading this, someone will understand. I feel like I'm losing my mind and I'm having nightmares every night. Any suggestions?

5 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi! I'm 16 and I have been having the same problem. I get a nightmare almost everynight and I'm constantly in an anxious worried state. just two days ago I started feeling exactly what you explained how you felt like you were going to faint and you were dizzy and couldn't concentrate. that's my situation right now! I thought I was the only one so hearing this really made me feel better. hopefully I can get on something to control it like you did smile thanks againĀ 
  • Posted

I found this site trying to figure out what is going on with me. I am 41 and last night I had an experience that scared me so much that I thought I was going to die. Followed this morning by a terrible headache. I should have went to the hospital but I didnt, I just want to make sure of what is going on. I have never had a panic attack. Not to publicize personal issues, but I was sent to my sister-in-laws house last night. She was threatening suicide; she had a gun and was intoxicated and threatening to kill herself. We fought over the gun and at one point the pistol was pointing directly in my face. I have no clue how to use a gun much less how to make one shoot and thankfully she was clueless too. But still anything could have happened. During this struggle I wasn't scared I just wanted to take the gun away from her. Finally it was over and got her in bed. Once she had been asleep for an hour I thought I would eat and lay down myself. So, I ate and as soon as I laid down I got tunnel vision and started feeling tingly and nauseous. I got up and went to the restroom and lost control of my legs they felt like rubber. I felt like I was suffocating from fear. I thought I was having a heart attackbor a stroke. I am really scared because my left arm was like jello and I couldn't control it for about 2 minutes. Then my heart was beating so hard I could actually feel it in my throat and that scared me even worse. I felt like I was not he verge of passing out several different times. This went on strong for about 30 minutes. I have not been to the doctor. Does this sound like what you all have experienced? And does my left arm alarm anyone or am I in fear because left arm is automatically associated to the heart? Please someone tell me what i need to do, I have been extremely scared today and because it passed I chose not to go to the doctor because I didn't want to leave my sister-in-law. Do I need to go to the doctor tomorrow and will they not take me seriously because I didn't come then?
    • Posted

Hi tammy....

As a long term worrier of all things relating to the heart and everything in between.

I believe what you experienced was a delayed reaction/shock of that whole terrible situation you thankfully defused.

And your bodies response was all the symptoms you described ie the flight or fight response which was totally natural after staring down the barrel of a gun.

If I was you I would still visit the doctor for a check up and discuss what you have been through.

Wishing you all the best

Jake

• Posted

Hi, in many ways I am experiencing also your symptoms. Before I started my panick attacks months ago, I have this terrible experience when my heart skip a beat for 1 second. It's the first time. I am thinking I have some heart problem or so. Months pass, there's some recurring headaches and I got easily get tired. Yeah I'm thinking too much and stress have already controlled my body. That's the time I am feeling backaches and all the body aches possible. I become paranoid that there's something wrong with my body. Then one night, I have this nightmare. I think I'm awake but I cannot move my body. I prayed that moment until I wake up. I feel dizzy and had headaches. I never returned to sleep that night until sunrises. After few hours, my right eyes became blurred and I'm disoriented. After a few days, I went to opto to check my eyes and said everything's fine but it's still blurry. After few weeks, I went to cardiologist to check my heart because everytime I go to sleep my heart beats faster and I can't breath feeling I gonna die. I'm very exhausted everything because I always fall asleep at 3am. The doctor run some test including blood test, ecg, 24 hr monitoring device attached to my body. Well everything's Ok. He diddidn't gave me meds. It's all in my mind that's making trick on me. He advised me not to drink coffee and stop thinking stressfull thing. Now I'm starting to regain myself and hopefully I can do it. PS I'm on meds for my back injury, this is before these all things happened. So keep smile and kick those negative thoughts away!
    • Posted

Sorry your going through this but you not alone. I had been going through a series of stressful events. I held myself together through everything. But like a month ago started getting panic attacks. I ended up in the ER the first couple times. They done blood work and EKG and said things were fine. That it was anxiety. I was finally starting to manage it. And could prevent my anxiety from going into panic attacks. But i would still get the foggy feeling. And racing heart. But then last week i developed new symptoms.

As if it wasn't bad enough. Now i have been having throbbing in my head daily and neck stiffness. I swear i have a brain tumor or something bad. I can't slerp. Barely want to eat. I have day's of just crying and sleeping. So exhausted!! I'm 39 and have children to care for. I feel like I'm never gonna be normal ever again. I just want to feel like myself again. Starting to wonder if that day will ever come. I can't even work i just stress every day about dying and not feeling like me. I'm going to start counseling soon. I hope someone can help me soon. I hope you can also get some much needed help. At least we are not alone. #anxietysux

• Posted

Hi,

I am exactly the same as you, I'm constantly thinking there is something wrong with me and that I'm going to die.

Everytime I get a pain or something doesn't feel right I automatically think something bad!

I've had ECG, blood tests, poop tests and all came back clear.

I had a 3 week holiday and during that time I felt the best I'd felt in a long time, as soon as I got home the anxiety, depression sets in. It's taking over my life and I've stopped seeing my friends and I avoid social events as much as possible, even going to the shops makes me panic, I fear that I'm going to have an attack and faint.

I don't want to take anti depressants etc as they can become addictive.

I use rescue remedy which seems to work.

I'm currently on anti biotics for a sinus infection (which I was convinced was a brain tumour). I just want to feel like 'me' again. K used to be a lot of fun but now I feel depressed, unhappy and anxious all the time, please help!!!

• Posted

Thank you for sharing , it's a bit of a relief to know I'm not losing my mind.I know exactly what your saying expect my head spins , loss of vision and balance began now a year after I quit taking colonzapam or any other benzo. My doctor can't find anything wrong and just keeps prescribing me more meds like Prozac , gababentin,+++. I don't take the meds they just seem to worsen my symptoms. Wish I had some suggestions, there has to be light at the end of the tunnel for us...!!!!!

• Posted

Hello Angie! It was really a surprise to see anyone respond to me after Ā years, but I feel good about it because now I can finally give a more "mature" response to people who suffer with similar symptoms. I am now 23 and I have really improved, something that I never ever thought I'd say. I have to say, don't take the medication. Just don't. It is all a part of your psychosynthesis, the symptoms of depression, fears, a traumatic experience etc. I had depression, that's why I got all those symptoms. After I have disengaged from medication for over 2 years now, I have found a meaning for my life. Because that's what I was missing. I went to cook school ( my dream since forever) , I worked, I made my own money, I got a person who really loves me. And guess what? I am happy SO I don't get dizzy anymore. When you are happy and your mind is occupied nothing of those symptoms happen. It is a global phenomenon. People are derpessed for so man reasons, but all they need to do is find something and someone who they really love and go for it. It will get bettter, I promise. If it got better for me, it will for you. Over time.Ā 
    • Posted

hello its my first time posting on here and im glad to knw im nt the only one to experience these series of anxiety episodes. im 21.my anxiety attack started 3 months after a traumatic event happened to me..I started having heart palpitations and I went immediately to the er because I thought something bad was going to happen to me..then all got worse when a doctor prescribed xenax pill for anxiety took it for the first few days felt alright then I started having side effects that affected my mood..I was scared of being alone ..bt I decided to break myself frm pills..and im learning how to deal with anxiety with the help of self motivation (which is challenging as hell) slowly but surely...im getting there..with the help of therapy..in those times I felt like I was in a dark hole and I felt feeling of quiting..bt I trusted myself and jesus..that I am going to be okay..its a slow and long journey to recovery becuz I want to do the things I normally do...they were days I couldnt even concentrate on reading without the interuptions of buzzing thoughts that wont stop! oh gosh! constant worrying the list goes on...but one thing I can say, where there is a will there is a way. we are going to be alright! self motivation is key. mind control is key..
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with anxiiety about 5 years ago as a matter of fact i just had an attack. I was blind in one eyeĀ for about 10 or 15 mnutes when it stopped IĀ had a terrible headache.Ā I have been doing homeopathic to help and it really does. I took the perscription for two days and all I did was sleep so I had to discontinue the use. I started exercising,Ā and going to bed earlier along with herbal teas to help me sleep. I am in school with a heavy workload and then hearing bad news set it off!!!! So I got in a quiet place and started praying and asking God to help me get my off of things.
    • Posted

It sounds like a good plan you have there. Alternative methods of medicine etc have seem to have helped a lot of people. You seem to have headache with aura, like me. How often does it happen to you? For me it has stopped for 2 years.Ā 
  • Posted

Mary.. I have been dealing with this same stuff since 18 years old. I'm now 22. I've been through it all. it got so bad I didn't leave the house for a year with out panic attacks. it SUCKS. but the trick is good support from people who know what your dealing with and don't think your crazy. once you make yourself beleive your not actually dying, it gets better and life gets more normal. I have came a long way.. I am doing much better although I still have ocasional random panic attacks or bouts of anxiety. I actually just came back from greece I was living in athens 3 months to be close to my girlfriend (she's also greek)... she helped my anxiety so much. it's all about support and training yourself to know it's just a panic attack and it won't kill you..

if you are still having issues and want to talk about things feel free to contact me. like I said I been through it all and everyone needs close support. robbie.keif101 @ gmail .com

• Posted

I am so grateful that a handful of people have actually responded to me and made me feel better and not alone. I will sure e mail you if I need support. I guess in today's world more and more people get anxiety sadly. The thing is to really understand the root of the problem and have a good support system. Thanks for commenting!

• Posted

yep for sure! definatly not alone in this.. and YOU ARE NOT DYING XP ...I just hate not knowing if a feeling is anxiety related or not!
    • Posted

Hey Robbie , I'm 16 and I have been having very bad anxiety since my surgery a few weeks ago. The surgery was fine and went well but ever since I always think something is wrong with me , I over think everything . I have chest pains , my head feels foggy and I have been having daily headaches lately. I keep think something. Is terribly wrong such as brain tumor . It jus makes my anxiety even worst. First j thought it was my heart but I went to get checked and they said it was fine . I've been to the hospital at least 3 times since my surgery and my anxiety jus gets worse and worst , now because of these headaches I think something is wrong. Everybody jus doesn't understand me and I really need help! It's so bad ..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.