Anxiety disorders and sleep

Posted , 4 users are following.

I haven’t had too much trouble with sleep before but I’ve had a lot of trouble this past week. I almost fall asleep and then I get nervous again and can’t get back to sleep. Horrible thoughts start to enter my head and I can’t control them. Last night I got a few hours of sleep at most and I need sleep because I’m a student and I had a test today. Does anybody know of sleep inducing techniques? Also does anybody else get a pulsating localized right sided chest pain? It usually stays in the lower right side of the chest but it moved a bit today more toward the right. My mom said she gets this too but I don’t know if she’s just saying that to calm me down. Does anybody know about this?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pastagirl, 

I know what you mean  

For sleep, I do think the main thing is going to bed at the same time every day. And staying awake during the day.  Not exposing yourself to too much light in the evening. 

I recommend getting an over the counter sleeping pill, with diphenhydramine (like nytol).  This can also be helpful for shorterm use. 

I hope you sleep well soon! 

All the best,

Jonathan  

• Posted

If you Google 'mind sleep' and go to their site there's a whole page on coping with sleep problems. Their page advises techniques such as those Johnathan has suggested such as establishing a routine, not napping through the day, ensuring your bedroom is just used for sleep, creating that relationship with your bed, keeping the room dark, not having Caffeine after 6pm, not exposing yourself to phone/laptop light before bed etc.

Give it a read, it's very interesting.

As for chest pain, I get all sorts including pulsating pain my lower right kidney area, I've had it my chest before, in my head, fingers, toes...you name it. Anxiety, it's more powerful than some think.

Try to disconnect from all media a couple of hours before bed and do something you enjoy that is relaxing Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.