Anxiety - Don't lose hope

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello folks, i thought i would share my story here and offer some advice. Three years ago i had a couple of panic attacks which changed my life in a big way. I started to avoid going out alone, didn't meet with friends and my life was pretty much limited to staying home. I did take medications eventually which relieved the physical symptoms but the fear was somehow still there. I always expected another panic attack coming its way hence making me very anxious. I still avoid going to places where i feel that i might get trapped but things are looking positive. The key here is to learn about your anxiety. Two things you need to keep in mind a) You are not having a heart attack - the tightness in your chest may let you feel that way but that is not true b) You will not die - anxiety does not kill. Yes, it is indeed an uncomfortable feeling but if you are able to ride it out it will go away. The key is to ride your fear - talk to your self, positive thinking will help. Whenever you get an axiety attack you need to think what happened in your previous attack or the one before it. Did you die? Did you end up going all crazy? I know people tend to lose their ability to think rationally during an attack but try writing it down in a diary. Read your notes when you get an attack.  The moment you start thinking rationally - like hey they is just an anxiety attack, i know my heart is racing but this is totally fine, i am safe, it will go away. You will be amazed with the results. And the other point you need to keep in mind is to not run away when you have an attack - i know it sounds difficult but stay where ever you are. Try to to ride it out. People tend to leave the place when anxiety reaches its peak. But if you don't leave anxiety WILL GO AWAY. I've tried this before. Try to go out in crowded places, look around. Expose yourself to situations which may provoke your anxiety and when it comes on try to deal with it with the techniques i have outlined above but again the key is to stay there and not leave until the anixety goes away - otherwise your brain will automatically programme itself to beleive that a crowded place can be of danger. There are other coping mechanisms as well such as belly breathing - inhale from your nose for 3 seconds, hold your breathe for 2 seconds and slowly exhale for 4 seconds. Repeat this 4 or 5 times. Should be helpful. But you have to remember - it is all in your head. It is like a monster coming out from your closet to scare you. If you look him in the eye and tell him that he does not scare you anymore, the monster will go back to where it came from and not come out. If anyone of you needs help or needs to discuss i am happy to help. Feel free to reach me. 

Your Friend!

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hey!

Lovely words full of hope! I do have a question

I'm almost through with my anxiety thankfully with treatment. It's substantially subsiding. However there is one thing.

Have you went through a stage where you constantly think about your breathing? I tend to have a bit of fear whenever I concentrate on it. I know it's impossible to forget how to breathe and we don't need to manualky do it.

Have you been through it? If yes, do you have any advices?

Thanjs!

• Posted

Yes I do get that a lot. As soon as you can't breath properly you feel like you have to try and breath.
    • Posted

Exactly michelle, any advices :D? Hope it goes away soon.

The only comfort is that there's no need to worry about breathing. Brain does it for ya

• Posted

Yes we are :D nevermind that I smoke as well, so add that ip :D

It's quiet interesting thought don't you think? Anxiety shows itself in like 1million ways, as soon as you think about something while you're anxious, it sticks for a while

• Posted

Hi, dubai..I have to say..your post is one of the best ones I have ever read.  Those are words to live by.  You are a very intelligent person, and I want to thank you for helping me and many others...I've had anxiety attacks my entire life, and it still scares the life out of me...thank you, again...
    • Posted

Hi carol

I just wondered if you manage to get out and about a lot without anxiety attacks coming on ?

• Posted

Hi, michelle...that depends on where I'm going, If I'm going to a doctor of any kind, I get so nervous that I can hardly see, and that is with my meds.  My doctor put me on Metaprolol...that really helps..slows the heart rate down, and, along with the Xanax and antidepressants.  I realize that I will never be free of this horrible disease, so I just need to live from day to day and when I have a set back, and want to just get under my covers and be free of the world, I step outside and make myself do something around the house or in my yard.  What we have a horrible because people think we are snobby or anti-social.  We have something that people can't see, but only we can feel.  My advice, sweetie, is just take baby steps...don't worry about tomorrow, just take care of today...Hope this helps...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.