anxiety drugs please help??

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi

I've had phobias and anxietyfor about 20 years. But only certain situations cause it. I tried hypnotherapy. .. No help. So stopped asking. Took valluim for travel for a while but that stopped working... so just stopped travelling too far.

Now small spaces, unknown areas, other people in control, travel - especially confined space such as flying, train, bus or coach. All set me off.

As does worry sbout my son and letting people down.

Also if I don't have a drink with me I have a panic attack. I'm also freaked out when not near or with my son... school trip looming so I'm v bad at moment.

So. .. Obviously I have avoided these situations. I also avoid leaving my son and social events.

I work and am not depressed . Just panic and anxiety.

I finally went to doctor today and have been given ciplitan or something like that.

But I'm so scared of the side effects?

I feel I don't need this? Just thought valluim would be better for when I need it? I'd love to hear what other people think??

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

you sound like you had many anxiety issues with agorophobia issues. Best to get that under control before you change up your anxiety rules and it becomes more self sabatoging and more confining. See if the meds work. When they do work please learn cbt and meditations and a experienced therapist or group so you can learn more about whats going on with yourself, your thinking and strategies to help you. I agree with you on the anxiety without depression even though many will disagree. Anxiety, ocd, panic attacks do not always coincide with depression in my own beliefs. But but but you must for yourself and journey to freedom learn cbt. It is so very useful and helpful. Get audiobooks on cbt and on self healing. Mediataion with mindful breathing is great before bed and when anxious. Takes five minutes. The agoraophia is inevit
    • Posted

Great thank you. Yes I'm going to have some Cbt - but I guess we'll see if meds is best way. I'm ok if I have valluim with me. Wish I could just use this. But I understand it's nit getting to the route of problem.😕
  • Posted

....ine itable without the proper cbt methods and breathing techniques. Cbt can be self learned from audiobooks or with a counselor. Agoraphia sucks but its fixable. many create anxiety rules..this is one of them. That whole saftey rules thing will need to be squashed when you feel stronger. Maybe pros vs. cons here is to go ahead take the meds and keep a good attitude. If they work well please learn cbt. You can download cbt for anxiety for dummies. I found it very useful. Your min must be able to turn to tool and resources. Hypnosis is useless right now with the proper tools in place. Fear ruins coping mechanism so they need to be relearned and tools in place. Side feects from meds can suck and you can always stop them if that happens but agoraphobia is debiliating and these anxiety rules you have created are so unfair to you and your son. Just imagine life without these rules and limitation everyday. How freeing and wonderful you would feel and be to move about and enjoy the world around you.  We all have anxiety rules whether we recognize it or not and anxiety is one hard bully to confront and deal with but it is a fight worth fighting. Medicines are sometimes needed, they can severly help you to be in a place to properly retrain your brain. Good luck. Wishing you the best. 
    • Posted

And yes your so right I'm leading a half life really at the moment.

I'll download sone books whilst I wait for doctors refers to cone through.

Thanks again xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.