Anxiety for gallbladder surgery

Posted , 8 users are following.

well today i seen the surgeon and im grateful he can do it. untill he told me the things that can happen like heart attack or stroke or organ damage or voice box or breathing issues . Now i feel like i dont want it done . is this something they tell evryone ?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

brandon.

yes the kinda tell everyone that on the nhs it seems.

its just to cover themselves in the very unlikely event that something happened !

the college of surgeons statistics say one in every 1000 patients having gallbladder surgery die in the usa.

things that increase yr chances of death are , gangrene , perforation, and other diseases like heart disease, ect.

i was 53 when i had mine out it was gangrene full of puss and i was likely to die within hours ?

I was obese, still am lol.

i smoke 40 cigs aday i was terrified .

i had the opp around 90 mins was walking up and down the hosp corridor 3 hours later all night drinking mint tea lol and refused to sleep and i left the hosp at 11am the next day ?

I THINK I WOULD FIND ANOTHER SURGEON IF I HAD ONE SAY ALL THAT TO ME AS YOURS DID ,

as hes not very confident in himself if hes talking like that is he !!!!

the nhs i had no hope in so i paid and went private .

however brandon. it depends how ill you are , i was very very ill and felt i had no , well no ile correct that i had no choice i was going to die anyway .

good luck with yr decision , and im sure , and i sure do hope it turns out ok for you.

Report Reply
  • Posted

Hi Brandon: Did he tell you about the procedure? It is day surgery if he does the surgery using the camera . It a simple procedure They make four little incisions in the abdomen. One by the belly button to put the instrument to blow up your abdomen so the surgeon can see easier. the second one is for the camera , the third is for the instruments and the fourth on the side, is where they pull the gallbladder out. the only problem you might have is after wards is breathing cause of the gas they use. After they remove the gas. Just breath through your nose. you will be fine . If you have any questions, don't be. afraid to ask.

Report Reply
  • Posted

I had my gb removed in 2015, and I wasn't told any of those things i.e., heart attack, stroke etc. I think once your gb doesn't work any more the best way forward is surgery. After surgery, for me anyway, it took a few months for everything to settle down, but I still have to be careful with my diet i.e., not too much fatty stuff. Good luck .... don't let people like your dr frighten you - it's their get out clause.

Report Reply
  • Posted

wow your doctor sounds like a loser. All the time I was in distress from gallbladder for two years. None of my doctors or my surgeon never raised those issues to me. so try another doctor if you can. I would be totally apprehensive about seeing your doctor. Anyways take it from experience you will be fine. My surgery was about 18 months ago. Only wished I could of had my surgery sooner. Good Luck and happier days.

Report Reply
  • Posted

why the heck would he tell you that? my surgeon didnt tell me that, does he mean after taking it out or inbetween the healing process? people had more difficult surgeries so whats so special about gallbladder surgery that it can cause these things, any surgery can be dangerous anyways change this surgeon ASAP dont let him touch you it seems like he only care about his pockets. if the gallbladder making you ill remove it. i remember i was scared of surgery so i ended up didnt schedule removal on my 1st appointment which was a big mistake, i was suffering with sickness that was unexplained for 3 months prior to visiting the surgeon, after another flare up i went back but i had to wait another 3 months for my removal cause he was busy so in total i suffered for 6 months and it has done a number on my mental health and now am still trying to recover

Report Reply
  • Posted

There is information on the internet regarding what percentages exist re the risks to anyone undergoing surgery. If I'd have had my gall bladder removed I might not have survived due to being over 70.... apparently your chance of croaking it when being operated on goes up quite a lot at that stage..... Tha being the case and because I had already had an open biopsy which left me with a 4" gash below my navel I opted to research alternatives to 'the knife'.

I still have my gall bladder which is without symptoms but that credit is not due to all of my GP's or an inexperienced gastic registrar lady............ She was very terse with my asking please may I try dissolving my cholesterol stones with Ursodeoxycholic acid treatment...... She replied,,, never heard of that--- the only way to get rid of your gall stones is removal of your gall bladder........ My GP's were skeptical whether Urso would work so they refused flatly to give me any...... My eminent gastric surgeon gave me my first script that any GP must repeat for the Urso.

It worked admirably for me and dissolved 4 stones completely and reduced one that may still be there from 17mm to 10 mm. My Surgeon told me in a letter I still posess that he would be please to repeat that script if I required one....... Until I use all my shed load of Urso I won't need to ask for more of that very fine medicine........ It cured me so why not research it yourself?

Report Reply
  • Posted

Wow, wish I had known about this. I had my gb removed in 2015 and still have to be careful with my diet and to enable ordinary living I have to take immodium every day. Thank you for the info; I hope it helps those who still have their gb

Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up