Anxiety getting out of Control. Please Help

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I have this very odd anxiety that if I say something, even if I don't want it to happened, it's going to happen. Like I'm afraid if I say "I'm going to die" that I'm actually going to die. Or of I say," she lied to me" that somehow, even if she didn't lie, it will be that she did lie. I know that I can't make things that are true false by saying they're false and I can't make thinks that are false, true by saying they're true. It's more that I'm afraid something out there, whether it's God or the universe or something else, is gonna make those things happens. What makes me especially anxious is when I ask for something to happen and I misspeak and accidentally ask for something to happen that I actually don't want to happened. It's not exactly a prayer, but sometimes when I want something I'll just kinda send out a little message, not really to anything or anyone in particular. Like if I'm going to take a particularly hard test I'll say something like ,"please make it so I'll get an A". But if I accidentally misspeak and say "please make it so I'll get a B" I become afraid that the world, maybe it's God maybe it's not, will make it so I get a B. I don't know why I'm afraid of this. I was raised in a non-religious household. I suffer from other anxiety problems, but have them under control and have seen professionals. This is the one anxiety that I haven't told anyone about and it's getting out of control.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Me too i think when my kids say mom i dont want you to die i think its because they know im gonna die.. Dont know why
  • Posted

Do you have a therapist or a counsellor or someone who is trained to help?
    • Posted

No. I deal with it alone.. Writing down how i feel when i feel it helps then when you feel it again write down and know youve felt it before and were ok
    • Posted

Its actually compulsive behavior
    • Posted

Is there a way for you to get a therapist? 
    • Posted

Yes. But i chose to deal with it on my own
    • Posted

I tried it on my own for a while and I beat it for about 5 years, but it came back and now I wish I had a therapist.

Any reason why you want to do it alone?

• Posted

Ive been battling it for 12 half yrs alone
    • Posted

I have alot of kids and no time for appts for myself.. I just take it as it comes its not easy
    • Posted

fair enough, do you live in in the UK?
    • Posted

Jp do you have a therapist now that it has returned? I thought you did cbt?
    • Posted

Nope, I'm waiting for an appointment. I should have just dealt with it years ago.

How about you?

• Posted

The best therapist is someone suffering the same thing. Js therapist can rationalize your feelings unless they have walked that road

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.