Anxiety getting out of Control. Please Help

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I have this very odd anxiety that if I say something, even if I don't want it to happened, it's going to happen. Like I'm afraid if I say "I'm going to die" that I'm actually going to die. Or of I say," she lied to me" that somehow, even if she didn't lie, it will be that she did lie. I know that I can't make things that are true false by saying they're false and I can't make thinks that are false, true by saying they're true. It's more that I'm afraid something out there, whether it's God or the universe or something else, is gonna make those things happens. What makes me especially anxious is when I ask for something to happen and I misspeak and accidentally ask for something to happen that I actually don't want to happened. It's not exactly a prayer, but sometimes when I want something I'll just kinda send out a little message, not really to anything or anyone in particular. Like if I'm going to take a particularly hard test I'll say something like ,"please make it so I'll get an A". But if I accidentally misspeak and say "please make it so I'll get a B" I become afraid that the world, maybe it's God maybe it's not, will make it so I get a B. I don't know why I'm afraid of this. I was raised in a non-religious household. I suffer from other anxiety problems, but have them under control and have seen professionals. This is the one anxiety that I haven't told anyone about and it's getting out of control.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

maybe you should do a maths course and brush up on your equations lol

sorry I got a bit confused by your comparisons.  If you want to speak to the forum keep it simple and you will get more answers.

rich

• Posted

Well, how about this, have you tried compensating for the negative thoughts/verbage by thinking/saying something positive that is the opposite? So going by the logic of the delusion, even if your thoughts/words could directly influence reality, you should be able to cancel out the bad manifestations just by thinking/saying the opposite. So you can beat the delusion using its own logic and hopefully this mental technique can help with the anxiety. So if you say 'I'm going to die' just say 'I'm not going to die... etc.' 
    • Posted

Yes that is actually what I do. The probelm is it becomes very consuming and stressful to feel as though I have to be careful of everything I say and then correct myself everytime I say something bad. A lot of the time my mind fixates and I just keep saying the thing that scares me over and over and constantly have to correct myself. My biggest anxiety is when I accidently ask for something to happen that I don't want to happen. Then I feel the need to explain in my head that I don't actually want that to happen and that I misspoke. Then sometimes when I am explaining I mispeak anf viscious cylce starts over. 
    • Posted

well, I'm not a doctor, but I have some advice that may (or may not help)

when your mind fixates, does it feel at all like there is something that comes from the background of your mind to 'suggest' various bad things happening? Or do you just not trust yourself to not say the 'bad' thing?

maybe ask the thing you talk to not allow anything bad to happen to you, to relieve you of your problem, and to disregard anything you say unintentionally/and/or anything you say that is harmful. That might give you a 'blanket statement' to cover everything. Hopefully over time, it will  get better.

Also, it seems like you have some metaphysical belief system that supports the delusion. Maybe try some innocuous alternative therapies like acupuncture or gemstone healing to see if it offers any relief. Something extemely benign, passive, and unthreatening. I'd stay away from any 'guru-like' healers or therapists, because it sounds like you may be very suggestible, and you don't want them to screw you up any more...

one last suggestion is to prove to the delusion that whatever power your word has, it doesn't have enough of an affect to cause you a great deal of harm, at least not as much as the delusion seems to suggest. Maybe pick something neutral (not percieved to be good or bad) and try to make it happen by saying it over and over. Experiment with that to see how much power your word has, and you will probably find that it isn't enough to justify the amount of fear you're experiencing with this problem.

If all else fails, just ask Darren Brown to hypnotize you... j/k.

• Posted

The power of the spoken is meant to be a positive. You say stuff o ky positive to negate the negative. I have heard this theory so many times. Suoerstition on some levels. The dr emuto water theory.  I beleieve in it too but not to the point it will cause an ocd cycle. Look we arent that powerful. Postive words are believed to yield positive energy and a positive life but you are a human being here. You are allowed to vent and speak what is bothering you. At the end just affirm you love yourself and your body and your body is healing everyday. You took a theory that is well known and turned it into a curse haha. I get that.
    • Posted

Dr. Maurice Emote  Water theory* 
    • Posted

Ok sorry it (computer) keeps changing the spelling but it will come up anyway in a search. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.