anxiety getting the upper hand again

Posted , 7 users are following.

Lately, I've been having anxiety attacks more and more often, after having done well after therapy, increased exercise, deep breathing exercises, progressive muscle relaxation, cutting out caffeine, doing yoga, having all the tests to "prove" there isn't anything physically wrong with me. But, I notice it's starting to come back more often now. Luckily not a panic attack, but anxiety attacks, which for me are a little less intense than a panic attack. For me it's my heart that causes me problems: tight chest, weird sensation like a palpitation but not quite - it's almost like i can predict when i will feel a palpitation because i start to feel uneasy somehow and a few mins later i get a heart flip. I also get a "flash" of intense feeling go through me every now and then. Drives me crazy! I also seem to notice my anxiety gets worse in the evening. Does anyone else get this? Grateful for any insights and stories. Whenever Inread that others are feeling similarly - even though we all suffer from this - it makes me feel less alone in this circus. Thanks. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I experience some similar symptoms. I sometimes start feeling uneasy and it's usually a sign that I'm about to feel even worse. Sometimes when I'm about to fall asleep I get this weird shocking sensation (not a Hypnic jerk) and generally my anxiety is better during the day and worse in the evenings. I think it's because in the evenings I'm less busy and my mind tends to wander and I start worrying about stupid things, making my anxiety worse.

And I know what you mean, reading other people's experiences here makes me feel slighty better.

• Posted

Thanks, Stuart. I will need to google hypnic jerk, not sure what that is! Sometimes I get like a flash of intense feeling shoot through me. Out of nowhere. i know what you mean too: almost a premonition that I will feel quite a bit worse shortly. That's when I immediately try to stop the feeling with distraction, deep breathing, shaking a foot or hand, progressive relaxation. I wonder if I should let the anxiety come and do it's worst, to prove it won't cause a heart attack? I just really don't look forward to the sensation any more intensely than I already experience it! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I think only people with anxiety can understand the need to talk it out and hear that others feel the symptoms, too. Take care.
    • Posted

about the shocking sensations you're experiencing? does it feel like a very strong pulse from the chest then radiating to the very end part of your body? i get that mostly when im laying down..and about to sleep..
    • Posted

For me it feels more like it starts at my feet and then runs through my whole body. It only happens when I'm lying on my side.
  • Posted

I go through the same things, as well. I used to get severe panic attacks everyday.
    • Posted

I have anxiety everyday still and have derealization.
    • Posted

ugh. that is terrible. such an uncomfortable, confusing feeling. i've only felt the derealisation a few times as an adult, but don't like it at all. hang in there...
    • Posted

Thank you. I've felt it a few times, before I developed GAD. It happens everyday now, half the day.
  • Posted

I'm exactly feeling this right now. Do all of the alternative stuff and it has helped more than anything. I don't get full blown panic but still anxiety waves of dreas that cam be quite intense. I'd say this is progress though. Try not be too complainant

Still accept your highly sensitive bit don't think you're going back on yourself because you're not. Your body .ay be trying to tell you something, possibly wmotove or psychological so sit with it. I seen a couple sellor today and she helped, well I just talked for the hour bit that's all it takes sometimes

Anxiety can strike up at any time anywhere but as you've well established, there are ways to live with it. Keep staying strong you sound like you're doing so well. You may very well have flare ups In future bit it's vital that you remain strong and not be extra anxious because you were doing so well and all of a sudden are experiencing symptpms once again.. You are doing so well. Accept the feeling and don't be afraid it's gonna come back. It's all you, accept it don't be afraid or resist it. Keep strong and keep sharing. Take care

• Posted

Thanks Tommytitan for the encouragement. Much appreciated! I like how you said anxiety waves of dread. That is a great way to descfibe it, even if I can't pinpoint what I am dreading other than the feeling of panic/anxiety. The fear or fear feeling. But the root cause/trigger? Dunno. I think the alternative methids help as well, they give me a sense of control back, because having anxiety that can hit and cripple at any time makes me feel so completely out of control. I second guess every thought and reassuring doctor statement I was. ever told dueing those moments if anxiety, and that is maddening! Thanks for taking the time and good luck to you, too!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.