Anxiety Hacks?

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have been struggling with terrible general anxiety and health anxiety.  (They tag team each other.)  I have some things I do regularly to help.

Exercise

Journaling

Vitamin supplements

less overtime at work

lorezepam .5 as needed  

bedtime ritual to help sleep (it keeps me wearing my retainer, but I do not sleep well.)

But I am completely psychologically destroyed when I have a physical symptom and the anxiety takes over. Any sugestions would be much appreciated, ladies! 

3 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Meredith, this sounds a lot like how I am... I can manage if things are going well, but as soon as there’s a symptom or flare-up of one of my chronic issues, I am terrified.  I’m trying to do deep breathing, get more rest, and keep improving diet.  Lately, I’m also focusing more on knowing this won’t last forever and trying to distract myself when possible. It’s really hard sometimes, but on most days it helps to take things a step at a time.  That’s the only way I can get through the work week.  Hope this helps.  🌸

• Posted

Thanks, Elizabeth. I too have a chronic health issue + peri. Together they terrify me.  I used to feel indestructible. Now, a sinus headache is a brain tumor. 

You are right about moving slower and focusing on one step at a time. My anxiety has my brain racing where I am 6 degrees of separation away from homelessness and death.  I will remember your advice.

I live in Connecticut where medical mary jane is legal. I started the approval process with my Dr. He thinks that the anxiety has disturbed the body's endocannabinoid system. (Who knew that was a thing?) and that the mj might help. I don't know what else to try. The anxiety has stripped all the joy from my life.

Thanks for writing back so quickly. You and all the ladies on the forum are a life saver!  

• Posted

We definitely have so much in common.  I worry constantly about ending up without money or not being able to take care of myself, having something worse happen, etc.  When Friday comes, I am relieved to realize that I’ve made it through another week and will get paid and can rest some during the weekend.  I know where you are coming from and try to keep telling myself not to worry so much about the future, just to focus on the current day and to be grateful when I’ve made it through another one.  But it is really hard sometimes.  🌸

• Posted

Have been using cbd oil for almost a week now. It's been GREAT for the sore joints and pain. Helping the insomnia somewhat. At least I can fall asleep. I'm riddled with anxiety too. My life is SO different. Seeing my gyn soon to request HRT. Will let y'all know how it goes. Hugs!

• Posted

Nancy, I know someone who uses cbd oil for neck/back issues, and I've got a friend who is about to try it for the disc problem in her neck.  What percentage of pain relief do you find it gives?  Does it leave some pain behind or is it all gone?  How long does it last/how often do you reapply?  

• Posted

Would have to say pain wise 85% better. Headaches are not nearly as bad. Doesn't help much with hot flashes or sweating. I ingest the oil. Up to 10ml/day.

• Posted

Hi Liz 

Yes me too ! I just got divorced and think all the same things !

We need to just take one day at a time until our hormones level out . 

This really is an illness I don’t care what anybody says as it makes you feel ill !

I have to push myself to do things as so dizzy and just not grounded. My brain feels fried !

• Posted

Thank you,Nancy.  The first person I mentioned, not my friend with the disc disease,also said about 85% pain relief.  I'll pass this on to my friend.

• Posted

You're welcome! Anything I can do to help, I am VERY glad to do/share.

• Posted

Hi Lori, I agree... I already have one chronic illness and peri is just another layer of symptoms piled on top of it.  I hope you are coping all right; my sister is divorced with sole custody of two teenage sons and our family really has had a time of it learning to cope.  In any case, all we can do is remember to breathe and take it a step at a time.  This phase of life is really speaking up loudly! 
  • Posted

Try EMDR therapy only done 2 sessions but working well helping me handle all this menopause stuff I’m going through which is fatigue and oh boy the dizziness would cause anybody to have a panic attack but with help of this .... soldiering through ! 
  • Posted

I could have written the last paragraph. Yes, it seems I'm always on edge waiting for a symptom and what it might be. Any little ting I feel my anxiety starts in. I hate being like this. I am phobic about going to the doctor so I don't. Sometimes I feel so mentally and emotionally exhausted. In my mind, a hangnail may cause me to die. That is how ridiculous I think. And it seems I can't control it. My only hope is in Christ. I just need to be able to turn it all over to Him and realize He is the answer.

• Posted

Doctor phobia is really tough.  I struggle with that specifically about gyn care because I’ve had a hard time finding a reliable gyn with a caring manner and a strong support staff.  I feel extremely vulnerable there as I’m sure many ladies do.  So hard.
  • Posted

I completely understand.  I have come to believe that my chronic fear and anxiety are the results of trying to control processes I cannot.  Somewhere along the line, probably during my chaotic childhood, I started to believe that "understanding" and  "figuring things out" would somehow lessen the very real conditions I was experiencing.  At that time, it was the constant fear of abandonment, catastrophe and annihilation. The future nearly always held the next bad thing, though I have experienced much love and joy in my life..

It is a dreadful way to carry on, continuing to give your energy to forces that suck the happiness out of you at every opportunity.  

I tried cognitive therapy and was on antidepressants for a while, but the drugs, while lessening the terror also left me apathetic,

What has worked for me is meditation.  I do take a tranquilizer, as well, when I need the extra help.  I also remind myself that though I have challenges there are others who are experiencing far worse than I am. The fear that I experience doesn't help me, it only adds to the burdens I already carry. Though at times I feel isolated, I am not alone. If possible, I try to breathe and realize that trusting all will be well does not bring about disaster; it can lead to peace. I wish I could have learned that, long ago--I'm still striving myself. xx

• Posted

Lynda, this was so eloquently written.  It says above and beyond all the layers most of us are going thru and should let go.  Thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.