Anxiety/Health Anxiety just getting worse! Preventing Work!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am a 21 yr old female, been suffering with anxiety, specifically health anxiety since I was about 15 but only got diagnosted this year when it got really bad...booking apps with my GP 2/3 times a week!! I feel anxious in my everyday life pretty much all the the time and it's having a great effect on my life. I started CBT 3 weeks ago but I don't feel any benefit as of yet and I'm afraid I'll have this forever! sad

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry you've been having such a hard time with this. Give the therapy time, it might begin to help you cope with all these feelings. And try to reduce your GP visits little by little. Remind yourself that you're young and have been checked many times for many symptoms, and so far you're still alive and well. Eventually you will get to a point where you can cope with the physical symptoms without always running to see a doctor. But those symptoms can and will still be scary. I constantly worry about chest tingles, my vision, headaches, etc. I'm just learning better ways of coping with them. Also, although I'm not currently on any medications for this, have you asked about medications to help you relax? Many people have had success with them. 

Please feel better and understand that you're not alone. A lot of us on this forum understand what you're going through. And we're all around if you need to chat. 

Peace xxx 

• Posted

Hi Nick,

Thank you for replying. It's easy to feel like you are alone I guess, I don't talk to hardly anyone about my worries at all let alone in detail so it's nice to talk to someone that understands. I do try to remind myself I am young but I constanstly have an internal battle with myself. Some days are better than others as you know and in response to your question no I refused medication in fear of the side affects! x

• Posted

I'm glad that you know that some days ARE in fact better than others. So when you're in a rut of bad days, just know that some good ones are on the horizon. And the point of therapy is to get you to a stage where the bad days come less and less. We're all at a different stage of that journey, but don't get discouraged. I'm also 21 and am dealing with a lot of the same stuff. We'll be okay. I promise. smile 

• Posted

kerrinclaire

Are you still making excessive demands on your GP Surgery.

All I can really say is you  are suffering Anxiety and you need to understand your GP is there to help you.. Are you taking any medications??

BOB

• Posted

Unfortunately it is not just you. I struggle with anxiety that is pretty severe at times.  I have refused medication for the same reason as you. I tried a few and could not handle the side affects which made the anxiety worse. Some days I feel as though I just make it through my day without having a panic attack. I am miserable. Hang in there and please share if you find anything that helps. I am also in counseling that is not really helping as quickly as I would like. I have read every book it seems and read every article but it still does not help. It is easy for people to say not to think about it. How can we not when we sit there in peer panick all day.
  • Posted

Hi I have just turned 24 and I av the same as you been like this for quiet a few months and there horrible my hands shake I get burning sensations I was having them up to 8 times a day nd now I still have them but my breathing feels like it's not normal every day and this can be terrifying short breathed and it kind of ruins my life as well

• Posted

I am short of breath a lot of the time and experience heart palputations a lot. This worried the hek out of me the first couple of times but my therapist and gp ensured its just the anxiety! x
  • Posted

hi there kerrinclaire

i too have been suffering for a years my anxiety started back in 1997,i was in intensive care and awoke with very bad anxiety,it has never gone away,as you describe that it is debilitateing.i have been through cbt and didnt find any benefit but thats not saying it will not work for others as we are all different.i have tryed many types of medications and currently i am taking 30ml metazapine,and 10ml propranolol  three times daily.it has had such a releving affect that i do feel better.speak to your doctor to see if this will work for you.hope you feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.