Anxiety heart pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi 

I’m Tyler. So recently this month I have developed health anxiety. I’ve had an ECG and bloods taken and bloody pressure is all fine but what I’m going through doesn’t feel that way. I thought knowing everything was okay would get rid of these symptoms but I have a horrible pain on the left side of my chest right around my heart. I have read up that muscles contract around the heart when anxious causing discomfort. I’m also not sure if it is my heart that feels weird or it is my chest. I had the exact same pain on the other side of my chest yesterday for a few minutes but then it went away and my mind is focused on my left side all day everyday? Is anyone else experiencing this horrible heart/chest symptom? 

Thanks for reading, appreciate the feedback. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Almost everyone experiencing anxiety gets chest pain. The fact that this is something that just came about recently makes it a possibility that it is just a momentary disturbance and not necessarily health anxiety disorder. Are there any current things that worry you that may be contributing to increased stress response? Caught and managed early this can be a self-limiting episode and you can regroup. Do you have prior history of anxiety or depression. Are you currently undergoing or recently gone through major life changes.

It is important to treat yourself as if having the flu - rest, plenty of liquids, limited sugar, no alcohol, no stimulants and only easy to digest healthy food for a couple of weeks. Sleep is crucial as is light (NOT strenuous ) exercise - ideally walking, swimming and any low-impact activity. Stretching exercises and massage (even if only self-massage of neck, shoulders) will help diffuse tension build-up. If you have no prior history you will likely be able to rebalance fairly easily. Simplifying daily rituals is also helpful. Anything to ease the body and mind of any unnecessary load for speedy recovery.

• Posted

Hi. I have never had anxiety or stress in my life which is why this scared me a lot. All I am worrying about is the pain that I can feel and nothing else. Last month I was perfectly fine and I am also not going through any major life changes. I only had the ECG 2 weeks ago and everything was fine so what are the chances of something actually being wrong?  Sometimes my job involves strenuous work as I am a joiner. I might go and have another ECG but I don’t think it’s worth it. Can my constant thinking make it worse? 

Apologies if this doesnt make sense I’m still confused about all this. 

• Posted

Also, when I wake up it isn’t there for a few minutes until I start thinking about it again. When I am working it is there but not as bad and toralable because I’m focused and not thinking about it. My family has never suffered from and heart issues or any other  issues for that matter and for some reason I am worrying about a heart attack because of the pain despite knowing everything is fine. Can anxiety cause heart attacks even if I have no previous experience with anxiety and my faimily have no health issues. 
    • Posted

Yes, when we fixate on the sensation we 1. magnify the sensation 2. Go into mental conscious and subconscious overdrive. The tension resulting gives rise to further symptoms when it starts getting out of hand. Then we begin cycling between symptoms and worry and the most disturbing result is intense mental and physical strain.

Sometimes the pain you describe can actually be spinal in origin (yes I know it is counterintuitive but bear with me). Any spinal misalignment can be aggravated by pressure (straining) and the pain at certain vertebrae can actually radiate into the chest. It may be relieved by lying flat on your back on the ground with knees raised to the chest for a minute or so, then feet flat on the ground and knees bent. Rolling getly from side to side may help pinpoint the source of the pain if it is structural.

Heart issues in case the pain is notable would be getting progressively worse and would not come and go much but get stronger progressively. Your bloodwork would have shown elevated enzymes in case of a current or imminent heart attack. ECG would show anomaly. How old are you? Anyone in the family with serious heart conditions? How is your health overall?

Depending on your age and family history you may ask (beg because they are unlikely to be crazy about referring you if you are below a certain age smile ) a doctor for another ECG plus heart imaging and stress-test if you really need convincing. That would prove beyond any doubt that your heart is fine and you could start regrouping.

I have found over time that in the beginning it is better to prove a couple of things to yourself so that you do not end up with a nagging voice in your head. For some it works but for some it moves from one imagined condition to another. Since you have no prior history of anxiety I would go and exclude this and meanwhile start the flu regimen suggested. Your body is flooded with stress hormones right now and you need to help it out.

Again: no stimulants (no more than one or two regular coffees per day and preferably no cola drinks and NO energy drinks, limit sugar, no alcohol (NO recreational drugs not even any used for unwinding). Increase water, try chamomile tea. Feel better soon.

• Posted

People with anxiety that present with chest pain do not have heart attacks at a greater rate than those without anxiety disorders smile The pain and perceived constriction are in the tissue surrounding the chest cavity and not the heart muscle itself!

The only way to have a heart attack because of anxiety is of there is an underlying serious heart problem.

I think your anxiety stems from a momentary unease - apprehension because of this new sensation. You may ask the doctor for a stress test and heart imaging. Hopefully they will humour you and refer you for those so you can rest easy. 

The symptoms you describe are very very common for most. NOBODY takes chest pains lightly and the sensation is frightening for everyone. So I would not let my mind roam and ruminate: it is normal to be apprehensive when chest hurts smile  - check what you can and then take your mind of it.

• Posted

The next thing you can do to ease your mind will be an ex-ray or CTcan to show your heart? I have had pains so bad that I always knew it was anxiety, but one time I had a panic attack so bad that I actually thought I was having a heart attack because I had chest pain so strong and so short of breath.  So what I did the next time I started feeling anxious....I did take the valium I was prescribed. I actually chewed up a small piece to get it in my system. It worked. I never took the meds prior to that just because I don't like taking them. I know that's what it was(anxiety) because the medicine helped. It was just severe anxiety!!! Sometimes it has to do with your stress levels, other times it is just unpredictable.Try and get your stress levels down..go for a walk, listen to music you enjoy! Hopefully something on here will help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.