Anxiety & IBS

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

Ok over the past couple of months I have been suffering with anxiety I'm told by my gp's which I am now believing, I'm taking the tablets Amitriptyline & Atenolol these seems to be helping as I don't feel as bad as I was, after speaking with my gp's they have also said I have IBS, has any else had IBS brought on by anxiety? The symptoms I have are a mix between soft stools and constipation, I also have heartburn and a sensitive feeling which remains in the centre of my stomach and a feeling of bloatedness, also worth mentioning a lot of wind just in the morning,

Are these all common symptoms of IBS as does make me panic a little. Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

yes this is all common of ibs and I suffer from ibs from anxiety and was also on amitriptyline for it for 6 months I chose to come off of them as they were making me too tired after a while but they really did help

try not to worry

I know that is easier said than done

good luck smile

• Posted

Hi,

I do not have IBS but have bad depression and anxiety just keep crying not interested in anything,any way my question how did you come off of your meds. I am trying to come of meds not the same I admit just started and am afraid.xxx

• Posted

I just stopped them as I was only on a low dose of 10mg I didnt notice any withdrawal symptoms but its advised to cut down gradually by cutting the pills in half for a week then just taking one every other day and then 2 days apart and 3 days apart and so on. but I was on the amitriptyline for the ibs symptoms not depression and anxiety as I did not suffer from either then . so as you are feeling low I would go and see your gp and tell them how you are feeling maybe you need a higher dose of meds or a different type it doesnt sound like you ahould stop taking them yet .

hope I helped you x

• Posted

Natasha,

Thankyou for your help,they have suggested I take more but have a meds fear.So trying to be big headed .Ha Ha.xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.