anxiety, ibs, lack of sleep, feelingblue

Posted , 6 users are following.

I don't knowif its all related but ive recently been diagnosed with ibs, I already suffer with anxiety but was wondering if its common for lack of sleep literally through fear of not twaking up. Upper ribcage pain, sometimes feeling its my heart, bubbling sensation in chest.does anyone else get these fellings I feel so upset and fed up of the constant worry and no sleep. Please someone help

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Yes all these things are common, and with little sleep everything becomes magnified. Ure body will sleep when it needs to, try not to worry, anxiety just loves it when we do
  • Posted

Thanks, its very difficult to snap out of the anxiety feeling side of things, resulting in more worry, more pain and less sleep
  • Posted

Hi Kerry welcome 😃.

I suffer from Ulcerative Colitis so I have some understanding of you questioning with your bowel problems aggravate your anxiety or vice versa.

For me the two go hand in hand and if you have any slight anxiety or depression issues this can be multiplied by other conditions. Do you take meds for either or both problems?

Kind regards,

Stuart. 

• Posted

It's one of the most difficult things in the world it really is. Therapy could help you deal with the anxiety which in turn will help the physical problems 
  • Posted

Hi stuarto, ive been on a number of things as at first they thought I had a hiatial hernia, I was on omeperazole then esomeperazole, I was then put on motilium 10 to help my problem with nausea, they then found I have kidney stones for which I am awaiting treatment and now suspected ibs which again I am awaiting medication to help, and amitriptyline before they prescribed motilium 10 as i cantbtake them together. I have read up on ibs and many things I can relate to, but I believe have definite contributing factors to triggering my anxiety. You are right jmcg it us one of the most difficult things, anxiety can take over everything
    • Posted

I was going to suggest Amitriptyline, has that not helped? The lack of or regulation of Serotonin in the gut can usually make a dramatic difference when applied correctly. There are many others and you will find the right combo for both symptoms don't worry it is just a trial and error but believe me you are not alone although sometimes it can feel that way.

5htp is something you may like to look into and you will see why when you do.

Also maybe something not as risky as benzo's for anxiety would be Pregabalin it is very useful for anxiety issues without major dependence or side effect issues.

If you need any help just ask no probs.

• Posted

Unfortunately i had a bad experience with amitriptyline in the past and so being put on it again just brought back the fear of what happened before. I went back to the doctors today who recomendded i stop taking everything except for the amitriptyline and to increase my dose. 

I looked into 5htp, it was actually interesting, though i don't know if i would feel safe taking it.

Thank you for all your advice, its been another bad day leading to the part i dread....night times, can already notice a change in me despite trying to fight it telling myself its 'just' Anxiety. 

• Posted

Hi kerry, i to have been diagnosed with ibs,it also gave me anxiety again ,so had to go to docs for some antidepressants,so you are not on your own ,go back to the docs and tell them how you are feeling,hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

Thank you Jane it is nice to know, you sometimes feel so isolated and alone from it all. I have been advised by my doctor to start taking amitriptyline again but increasing the dose. Will see how it goes, would just like to feel better 
  • Posted

Hi all of what you have is common with anxiety!

I had anxiety for twenty years and have had upper rib cage pain for most of that! The Ibs comes and goes with anxiety symptoms also antibiotics can cause Ibs and did for me for nearly a year after having then for a chest infection so if you had them recently could be them if not most likely anxiety!!! As long as your not passing blood then I don't think you need to worry! 

Lack of sleep can defo upset your belly for long periods either giving you constipation or the loose stuff!!! I've had them both because of anxiety and for long periods of time, the worry, lack of sleep just a horrible cycle you need to stope! As you know the trouble with anxiety is you don't have to be anxious to have it so we are never convinced we've got it! I'm sure your syptoms will ease with time try to eat properly exercise and try your best to be happy cos you don't want it to stay with you for twenty years like me, easier said than done I know!!!! Take care simon 

• Posted

Lack of sleep is definitely causing me problems, but unfortunately despite feeling completely shattered the anxiety keeps me wide awake i'm just so scared and convinced i have something seriously wrong that i am about to die. it sounds silly. i so want to feel happy and worry free again and enjoy life, and i do try but it easily takes over your life
  • Posted

I have been suffering with palpitations for the last two years they stopped for about a year and have now started again ........ im so glad im not alone reading this has made me a little more relaxed that other people have the same symptoms as me as i think im going to die everytime i get them and then i worry waiting for the next attack to come its just a vicious circle ! any advice on how to deal with this would be great as the doctors dont seem very helpful .
    • Posted

Hi jane. I feel the same im so thankful for this website as sometimes its just knowing you aren't alone. Ive had a really bad time with doctors too, whenever ive had palpitations etc or the feeling im dying I try and distract myself with something like a puzzle book or putting something on the tv or come on here and write a post getting all my feelings out. Its such a horrible feeling I hope you feel better soon 
  • Posted

yes i usually get up and start walking around but they are really quite frightening feels as if your hearts jumping up in your throat is that how you feel ? the doctor just looks at me like im mad . they sugggested i try rescue remedy which you can buy in the chemist its herbal ...... just woundered if you had tried it x

• Posted

Yes ive experienced that feeling, I haven't tried rescue remedy but have heard good things about it. like tonight I am feeling very panicky I have chest pains feel like I cant breathe, dizzy and disoriented and very scared. I am convinced I have something seriously wrong and am dying, I, so scared. I try to relax and say its just a anxiety attack but I just cant snap out of it sad hate feeling like this
    • Posted

Hey Kerry, please try to ride it not hide it. I know all to well other people who do not suffer from this have no idea the distress you are in and snapping out of it is ridiculous and virtually possible to do.

You clearly need a support med, however the absolute best thing to do is please don't react to it if you can, be panicky be breathing heavy, you will not die and it will pass. Do not feed your brain anymore irrationality.

Do you have a gp?

• Posted

Hi stuarto, thank you, you are right, unless you have been through it or know someone who has its very hard to explain what you are feeling and why you cant just snap out of it. I just feel like crying, its so scary you cant believe all these feelings are not harmful in any way. I do have a gp yes
    • Posted

You are welcome. Let me just say this. Anxiety disorders as a broad spectrum are far more common than we think. I have inherited mild Ocd from my Father and also Serotonin efficiency. CPUs that with stupid teenage behaviour depleting god knows how many neurotransmitters and it bites back lol.

I maybe should not publicly say this and also it is let's say off label and unaccepted for what I use it for. But the greatest most perfect relief from pretty much every symptom is TRAMADOL. For me this drug is amazing when respected and not abused.

The medical community who are scared of thinking outside the box are pathetic in my opinion. Addiction and dependency are serious maters of course, however throwing an SSRI to someone with suicide ideation and told to wait a month for it to kick in is unacceptable.

I believe that someone who feels they don't want to live trumps addiction unequivocally.

If you want to pm me no probs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.