Anxiety is controlling my life and I'm completely lost - any help appreciated

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 19 and have suddenly been hit hard by my anxiety disorder.  I've had it for a long time but in the last week or so, with no apparent triggers, it has come back stronger than ever.  

I've got to the point now where I feel so overcome with sickness, worrying, feeling faint etc.. that I can hardly leave my house.  I know I experienced some of these feelings for the first time a few years ago when I had my first relationship and found I couldn'd cope with meeting my boyfriend or feeling at all relaxed but suddenly now, when I have just got the realtionship I dreamed about and have got comfortable meeting friends, these feelings have come back.

I cannot cope with this at all and have no idea what to do.  My mum is currently undergoing treatment for aggresive breast cancer and I cannot support her in any way because of this and she isn't well enough to put up with this fear I now have.

Please help me - I love my life, friends and boyfriend and have such an amazing degree planned for next year but I feel like I'm ruining everything with this.  I'm scared I won't be able to kee myself safe when the next panic or anxiety attack happens.

Thanks you so much in advance xx

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Its not that it came back or appeared out of nowhere its been building up and has since hit the straw that broke the camels back kind of thing. You need to watch a video on oanic disorder just so you are aware of the science of ehats happening. Next have you seen a therapist or a cbt counselor or both? This whole anxiety thing a big bully and wont stop unless you learn about it and get some guidance and help with disarming it. Dont worry about not being you again, you will be a stronger and different  version of you in future. Go get some help with all this so you can begin to find a way to manage this. Stay very strong and beleive and know this does become manageable most of the time and you will adjust to it. 
    • Posted

Thank you so much for this - I've been having counselling but this intense anxiety had eased and the counselling was helping the lower level of stress I was experiencing up until now.  Right now I'm just scared of loosing the people I love and not sure how I can tell them about this to make them understand.  Thank you for you words though - I really appreciate it.

• Posted

Hi - Lisa is right. I'm sorry you've hit  this wall - and I really hope you get a handle on it soon.

My daughter went through the same thing at the same age. She totally gave up for some years - until a few months ago when she suddenly gathered up her courage and took a job for the first time since leaving school. You can do this - but it needs time.                                       love Tess

• Posted

Thank you so much - I really appreciate your support and it's comforting to know I'm not the only one who has experienced this.

Love Nancy

• Posted

I was your age when I started with anxiety, and it went away, and came back, really bad with  panic attacks, I am now 56. I have been on a antidepressant for years.I am doing fine and have been for years. I got my life back. This will not go away by itself. Do yourself a favor and see you family doctor and get started.
    • Posted

Thank you Kim and I'm so glad you've got your life back - unfortunately I cannot take antidepressants as I am allergic to some and get side effects.  My doctor also says they cannot do anything more for me, as I'm moving away to uni in September, and I just need talking therapy (which I already have). 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.