Anxiety is out of control

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had anxiety and panic attacks for 31 years. This week my dr put me on Citalopram 20mg for depression. I have been taking it for 3 days and this morning I had one of the worst attacks I've had in a very long time. I got so dizzy and weak and my arms and chest felt like they were on fire.  I researched Citalopram and read it can cause anxiety for the first few days. I have also read on here how much it has helped other people. Has anyone else had this problem when starting out on Citalopram? I look forward to your replies. I always feel like no one else understands what this is like.

0 likes, 14 replies

Report / Delete

14 Replies

• Posted

HI missy ! Belive me I understand how you feel !

I have an axiety for over 30 years too . Plus panic attacks . But so far I've never been on any medications . Year after year I just try to find solutions 

myself . My family doctor is not eager to prescribe any medication , becouse 

they are very addictive . And until I can go on without it I continue to do so ! 

Try many things- meditations , exercise , walk , even prayers 😃

Missy all of us here , are to support you . All the best ! 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I usually walk one to two miles a day, but the last couple weeks have been so rough on me. I get so dizzy and light-headed when I walk, I get scared to even go outside. I have been on meds for anxity for a few years now, but have been lucky enough to  get by with taking only one tablet at night. It has been sufficient until lately. Now I am having to take one in the morning too. And with this new prescription causing more anxiety, it doesn't seem to be helping at all. I feel like I'm losing my mind. I do lots of praying. I am a Christian and I know God is with me. I also am trying essential oils along with chamomile tea.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I really like them. I use lavender and lemongrass and night. Lemongrass is good for insomnia. I carry lavender with me and when I feel anxious, I slowly breathe in the lavender. It helps me calm down and it helps me to take slow, deep breaths.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I love the lemongrass. And it if you mix lavender with it, it smells really good and it's very calming. If you don't want to spend a fortune trying it for the first time, go to Hobby Lobby. It's about $7 a bottle. If it doesn't work for you then you haven't invested a lot of money.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm on these meds. I haven't had any problems. My GP said they usually take about 6 weeks to get in the system and start working.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Sorry missy to hear your symptoms'

I am 30 y old and facing problem of anxiety and acid reflux problem from 4 years lot of docs precribe antidepressant tablets but i never used before but recently my gp prescribed lexapro 10 mg plus propnolol 10 mg 3 times a day for fluttering and palpitation of heart and panic attacks,believe me some time i awake from sleep bcoz of fast heart beats my gp also told me it take 2 months to adjust .....well i know it sucks but i also agree with donna u need to do pray it will give lot of relaxrion to mind and heart

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I've been dealing with anxiety, depression and panic attacks for 14yrs. I recently started medication for the 1st time. I've been taking sertraline for 4 weeks now. The first couple of days I did get bad anxiety, depression and constant panic attacks. It calmed down after about a week but now I had a bad panic attack yesterday and now I'm just overall feeling blah..,

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

This all seems like a vicious cycle that never ends and noting really seems to help. I am on day 9 of citalopram. I pray this levels out soon and I get  back to feeling normal again.
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up