Anxiety is ruining my life

Posted , 4 users are following.

Where to begin. I was mostly laid back when I was younger. Until my father passed away at 50 when I was 24. I started getting anxiety attacks and turned to heavy drinking to cope. I'm 37 now. Been in and out of rehabs and now I don't drink. But my health anxiety is terrible. I get pains in my chest, heart skips beats all the time. I've been in and out of the cardiologist and emergency rooms all with nothing but them saying it's anxiety. Thanks to google, I keep thinking they missed something. I get dizzy and short of breath alot. Never passed out. I have a 3 year old daughter now who means everything to me but I'm scared I'm going to die almost every day of my life. I have good days sometimes through meditation and clear thought. This discussion has been good seeing I'm not alone because the worst part of anxiety is feeling alone. I do alot of reading that helps cope but I struggle alot. My hands get cold, sharp pains in my head, etc. Every week I think I have something else wrong with me. Anyone have any tips? Breathing and all that helps when anxiety is about a 5 out of 10. But when it's a full blown attack and heart skips beats, I'm petrified. Thanks for reading this to whomever is.

Jeff

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi jeff,

I know what younare feeling i also have a 3 year old daugther and my wife is on the way. This forum is a good place to start. The experiences of others help me cope up with my own attacks. I wish you good and quality life.

Mark

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Jeff...

I just started on this forum a few days ago because I too experience all those symptoms and they have told me it is anxiety attacks...i was feeling sooo alone n googled forums n found this and omg it has definitely helped me feel not so alone! I have just finished reading a book which i truly think has helped me- i notice a hugeee decrease in symptoms after having a remedial massage (1hr)...i never use to believe massages did anything until i started having panic attacks n jad to find something! At the moment i am not on meds but when i was at my worst i went on SSRI escitalopram 10mg n it allowed me to see clarity to understand what i was going through were panic attacks so that when i went off it (i am pregnant ) i could rationalise with my thoughts better! Just remember..u r not alone!!

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Jeff,

I am 38 male and I am facing the same problem.

I started fluoxetine 20 mg per day almost 7 weeks ago. It's been a hell of a journey with lots up and downs. I was on CBT too. I must admit that I am feeling different in a positive way but recovery process is to slow. As I see here through the experience of the people it is normal that getting better should be a slow process.

Even now sometimes I can't convince my self that it is health anxiety that is making all the problems.

I hope this will give you some reassurance.

I also started transcendental meditation and I hope this meditation will help me through some time to be meds free without taking any pills...we will see...

A

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up