anxiety is taking over my life

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with anxiety and mild depression since I was a junior in high school. Now 23, I have learned how to cope with anxiety without medication, however it is still very present with me on day to day basis. Typically I feel light-headed, dizzy, lethargic,etc. On days when I am feeling more stressed than usual, I will get numbing sensations in my hands and feet, rapid breathing and back pains. All of these symptoms I have become customary to so they are nothing out of the ordinary. However, this past month my symptoms have intensified and I feel like am on the verge of having a panic attack ( I have a history of having panic attacks). Recently I quit my job, but still go to school part time, there fore I am assuming my added anxiety is to life changes.  During these anxiety episodes I tend to lock myself in my room for 3-4 days, avoiding all human contact. I become dysfuntional. I am embarrassed because I can't perform regular day-to-day tasks and I feel like I have no support system (family or friends). I am just an annoyance to them. Right now it is very difficult for me to remain optimictic because I feel empty and hurt. I am wondering if I should get on medication (which I desperately do not want to) but unfortunately I feel it is my only shot of recovery. I would appreciate if some of you could advise me of how to deal with the situation I am in and if there are some helpful techniques or life style changes I could do to lessen my anxiety.

1 like, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

From what you said about light headed and dizzy you breathe wrong. You are not breathing jsing your belly. Inhale belly exoands, exhale belly flattens. At first it feels weird but you will get used it. Thats the proper way to breathe. Then after you master that. Learn mindfullness breathing from utube. You will be able to calm yourself fast. Its so great. The best thing i started using a year in ahalf ago. I still uselessly worry but i can calm my heartrate and lower blood pressure. I tested it at the doctors so i know it works. He was pleased.. I cant use medicines. I do use the emergency xanax bit very very carefully i have to protect my eyes.  If you choose medicine olease get therapy too, cbt therapy because at some point you will need it again and then youll know it. Meds are great for some people, i think depressive issues have a better chance of success, but people riddled with anxiety need and must learn to self calm.  It might be the best thing to get a break from all this and learn all the tools in a calmer state of mind. Good luck and feel better.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You have fought this battle with a good fight! It is ok to try meds. I take the most minimal amount of escitalopram of 5mgs. It took about two weeks to get used to the side effects and about 4 weeks to reach my full effect. I had horrible anxiety for 3 years. Now, I am as close to normal as I can expect. You will be ok to try meds. They wanted me to start at 10mg, but I hate meds, so I started and stayed at 5mg and feel good about that. You can do it!!!!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I agree with the others. It's ok to take meds for the anxiety. I'm currently on a low dosage of Effexor, Buspirone, and Ativan for anxiety and to help me sleep. You may not need all of those like I do, as I also have Major Depressive Disorder.

If you don't want to go the meds route, 5-Htp might be good. I also currently take GABA, Sam-E, Magnesium, and Vitamin B complex to help with moods and my nervous system.

Definitely learning to breath from the belly vs the chest will help. Try to take a little bit of time each day to focus on your breathing. There are many breathing techniques for anxiety online (Pinterest, YouTube, etc). I breathe in for 4-5 seconds thru my nose, hold it for about 2, then exhale for about 6-7 seconds thru my mouth. But do it slowly, that's the key. Cognitive behavioral therapy will definitely help you along with meds. Helps you to change your thinking. I'm doing ALL of these things and they help me, so I hope at least one of them helps you. Take care. xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

First of all you are not alone! I have depression and anxiety along with daily stress that has given me digestive problems ... Going thru a lot right now and I have health anxiety that don't make it any easier ... I have been using essential oils (wild orange) to help with my anxiety and I find that it does help.. Anxiety meds aernt a cure... It helps some and some it don't.. So I have been trying natural things .. The thing that helps me is talking to others knowing you are ok... There's so many symptoms go anxiety .. Numbness in hands and fingers legs all parts of my body get numb.. Tingling in head .. Headaches and I can go on and on.. Here's the thing tho... You know you have anxiety so that's a start.. Second... Just think.. When you are having an anxiety attack... Eventually it ends and you are alive... So the next time you have one... Tell yourself ok... This happened yesterday and I am fine.. It's my anxiety and I will get thru this... Trust me it helps... And breathe... It's still scary but the anxiety will finish quicker ... As soon as I start to panic I start breathing and keep telling myself that... Makes it easier... This site has helped me a lot too.. Hang in there .. You are not alone
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up