Anxiety issue?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, I've posted on this site before about my anxiety symtoms. But I still dont feel I have all the answers. I finished all my scans and the doctor says I'm normal it was just a panic attack. But are panic attacks really able to put you in hospital for a week and cause a very high pulse rate. If anyone could provide some info. Thank you

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Yes it sure can.  (Warning: Health anxiety sufferer look away now! )  Tim, you're so not alone in feeling completely bewildered by this new affliction.  It must have taken me a couple of years, umpteen pairs of glasses (I was convinced my visual disturbance was an eyesight problem......which spookily only happened when I was driving my car!) and hours upon hours of googling symptoms from menieres disease to heart conditions and every random illness in between,  before I finally accepted that I, sensible and level headed, awesome in a crisis person that I am, was suffering from anxiety.

Anxiety and panic attacks are physical.  Sweating, raised pulse rates, dizziness, pains in the chest, visual disturbances, are just some of the symptoms.  When we first meet it, we feel as though were about to die.  It's truly awful.  What do you think triggered this for you? You don't need to have recently just experienced something traumatic or stressful, it can just come on after an accumulation and finally your anxiety management tank has just overflowed.  It's frustrating. Annoying. Totally out of your control but the earlier you address it the better chance you have of correcting it and not slipping into a longer term depression/repetitive anxiety issue.  Do take this up further with your GP and don't be fobbed of with it was a panic attack, that's it. loads of people have them.  Yes they do, but left to it's own devices, it can escalate and significantly impact your daily life.   One other thing, watch out for avoidance behaviours, these are the things you may start to avoid as that activity or situation brings back those feelings of uncontrolled anxiety.  You've picked up on it early so don't allow avoidance behaviours to compound the issue (which it will) early help, will avoid a long term problem.  Best wishes, it is awful so sympathise greatly with you xxx

• Posted

Thank you Chris. Well I got the all clear from the docs. Eliminating any issues or conditions, this all started at around 3 am just thinking of random things, then I started feeling my heart for no reason at all, I should note I went to bed that night when I saw something on facebook about heart attacks and couldn't get it out my head. I had a fast heart beat, I had the urge to walk around the house then I calmed down, then I came on again because I thought there was something wrong with my heart then I had to walk around again like I had lots of adrenaline. Then I was wondering if I should shout up to wake my mum and dad, I should note also that I had a sharp pain I the lower left rib and it wouldn't go, this along with the panic caused my left arm to go all tingly and made my armpit numb for some reason. But that's how It all started then I was in hospital for a week with high pulse, jumpiness when waking up, getting dizzy when walking ect. It just annoys me that during everyday I think of what happens to me. Its scary since I'm only 20 and I should be fit as anything. But it just pops up out of no where. Just don't know what to do if I'm honest.
  • Posted

I can sympathize with both of you...I have had terrible panic attacks since I was 32 yrs. old...I am now 66, and on meds, but the first one I had scared me half to death...I was in a grocery store with a cart full of food...for no reason at all, my legs began to trimble, my heart started pounding, I became numb, and all hell broke loose...I was paniced for no reason.  I left everything in my cart and managed to drive home.  I got under my covers and stayed there for fear it would come back.  PANIC ATTACKS ARE HORRIBLE....I have them under control, pretty much now, due to prayers and meds, but I know I could have one at any time, even with the meds...It is a chemical imbalance in the brain, and it doesn't have to come when things go wrong...Watch the caffeine...I stay away from it almost completely...I don't drink any kind of caffenated coffee...I can eat chocolate and drink tea, though....hang in there...If you have a good doctor, they will find the right meds for you...Hope you feel better soon....prayers and hugs.
    • Posted

Thank you Carole. I hope your well and is it easy to cope with, because I know I've had panic before with my heart beating fast but I never thought of a panic attack at the time. But when i had this one I thought I was having a h attack. But I'm still not sure why it caused me to be so ill. I could barely eat for 2 weeks it was just really odd, do panic attacks have this affect even weeks after the attack?
  • Posted

Hi Tim., Although I am suffering from severe anxiety at the moment, I have had repetitive panic attacks in the post.  I once had to go to hospital as all of the left side of my body went numb and my heart was racing.  The nurses sort of laughed and said wow you are an anxious thing aren't you.  Although that sounds cruel it kind of helped.  My advice is to educate yourself as much as you can about anxiety and panic so that you are no longer as frightened of it. Alsospeak to your doctor about treatment, whether that is talking therapy or meds.  Things will get  better.  Places like this are also really helpful.  Take care. xx
  • Posted

Anxiety and panic attacks are physical.  Sweating, raised pulse rates, dizziness, pains in the chest, visual disturbances, are just some of the symptoms.  I have had anxiety challenges for over 12 months, un helped by health issue with my spine.

My anxiety I think started when I began a new job and also problem with my now ex wife. I cant work out what the triggers are and I still get anxiety issue. I purposely fight thru and avoid the avoidance technique where I can but its not that easy.

Panic Attacks are significant if they have a high frequency and are impinging on your life. Counselling maybe a good solution if you can get thru to one on nhs.

• Posted

Thank you. Can it cause you to not eat for weeks? Do they cause your digestive system to shut down?
    • Posted

When I am anxious I do tend to lose my appetite. I think what your describing needs further investigation, anxiety effects us all differently and if you're not consuming food your probable creating further issue that may make anxiety worse. Get checked out, and try to eat plain foods
    • Posted

Hi. Well I eat every day after the full blown panic attack in hospital, but when I was home having dinner I almost felt like I couldn't eat it all. But I'm good now
  • Posted

Panic attacks affect people in different ways.  I once went to the hospital for two days with one.  I kept having one after another.  They are physical and mental, but everyone tells me they aren't dangerous...They can give you agoraphobia, where you are afraid to go out of your house, too, for fear of having an attack in public...My doctor put me on Metaprolol, a beta blocker for the fast heart beat...that really helps the panic problem....HUGS to all..
  • Posted

I've read anxiety attacks are a chemical imbalance of the brain, maybe it's what we perceive as physical is our minds playing games with us physically, or, once more, our minds bluff our body creating these physical problems. My doctor told me, one of his patients was obsessed with taking his blood pressure constantly, he drove himself to a stroke. Our minds create these problems such as my white coat syndrome which I've had for years. my BP most of the time is OK at home, but the anticipation of goint to the doctor, and that cuff always drives my BP up. 

I can make myself calm by relaxing some times, but my mind is conditioned, the same as it was years ago when I would panic when I was driving, which I've been able to overcome. So, there is a solution to these panic attacks if you don't let them build, they can be controlled, they can be stopped because we weren't born with them, they are our minds creating this physical manifestation. Call them a chemical imbalance, or whatever, but don't let it control your lives.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.