anxiety making me feel like I don’t love him, is there any hope?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all,

I'm going to apologize from the start because I know this will be all sorts of messy and maybe confusing.

I've been with my bf for 5 years. Things were going relatively good until something horrible happened that caused us to move from where we lived into a new place but together. Despite the horrible circumstances, I was excited for us to live together. Little did I know all the stress and hard times that were going to come with this. My bf was still very sad and torn apart about what happened and although he had every right to feel that way, his negativity was starting to stress me out. I suddenly felt like I couldn't handle the situation we were in, I felt guilty because it was my idea to move and I didn't know how to take care of him or make him feel better. After a while I just felt trapped in a s****y situation.

I'll make this part of the story short. I began a new job and in that job I started getting attracted to a coworker. Needless to say after a few months I ended up cheating on my bf with said coworker. At first I kept blaming my bf but I came to realize it was all my greediness. The craving of wanting something new, stress free, where things were fun and I got to feel desire again. Crushing on this coworker also made me feel like I'd have a backup if all went wrong with my bf so I was really feeding and going all into it. This coworker ended up finding a new job and with that the cheating ended. For a while I didn't feel bad but all of a sudden I started panicking. I felt disgusted with myself. I confessed to my bf and after many long discussions and talks here we are still together.

We moved to a new place again and things here are going much better. My bf has forgiven me but I can't seem to forgive myself. I know everything I did pretty much classifies me as a worthless b***h but I really do love my bf. I enjoy taking care of us, I feel so much comfort and peace when I lay in his arms. The problem is that now usually at night I can't stop overthinking. I know I love him but my thoughts say "you don't love him, you wouldn't have done what you did", every time I try to calm down and take control of my thoughts I feel like its me vs my head. I don't know what's real anymore. When I remind myself that things are better now my thoughts are like "you're just forcing this to work" and honestly I just have so many similar horrible thoughts, my thoughts always have something to answer back with when I'm trying to reason with myself.

I dont think I have multiple personality disorder but there's so many thoughts going on at the same time and I cant control them. I feel so aware of my thoughts, if that makes any sense, that its driving me insane.

I just want to be happy again. I want to be happy with my bf. I want to put things in the past and become a better person.

I want to include a little more history about us and my past. When I confessed to my bf about my physical and emotional infidelity with my coworker, I realized a lot of things I did wrong in the past as well. Things I thought were no big deal like flirting because I've sorta always been flirty. I also have a huge need of male attention, I always want them to find me attractive or desire me. I fantasize about other people a lot too. About anyone really, even if I dont find them attractive I'll sometimes fantasize. I feel like a sick person. I really dont understand why I'm like this.

When I was younger and had my first bf he ended up cheating on me, I forgave him. A while after I got really sick and was diagnosed with an auto immune disorder. The medications I had to take for this really messed a lot with my appearance. Being as young as I was and in high school it really took a toll on me. I broke up with that bf because I noticed he wasn't attracted to me anymore and I couldn't blame him. After that all I wanted was to feel beautiful again, that's when I started being really flirty and creating a sex appeal. I'd fool around, kiss or whatever anyone because those few minutes made me feel better, like I was desired and attractive. It was also my escape from issues that were going on at home since my father was a drug addict (he's now clean and doing better). I lost a lot of friends because I became really bitchy and angry at the world over everything that has happening to me and in my life. After a few years my older sister was pregnant from her bf but her bf would always be flirty with me. Trust me when I say, that's NOT something I wanted. I would try ignoring him but at a point when I'd go to their house so I could spend time with MY sister, he'd try touching me when she left the room. I was still underage and I didn't know what to do. Keep in mind, I was about 16 or 17 and this man was either in his late 30's or 40's. I finally broke down and told my parents everything when he tried jerking off being next to me, besides that he had pulled open my shirt and spanked me on different occasions. My parents are old school to the point where they said its my fault for how I dress and sometimes people make mistakes so they were going to talk directly to him but never mentioned it to my sister. They ended up getting married...then divorcing because she cheated on him (she still doesnt know up to this point what happened) and now they're back together. Speaking of my sister, when I was much younger and she was in highschool, she attempted to commit suicide, was addicted to pot (you know, when pot was still a big deal) and was dealing with her sexuality so things at home were not good. I would always be in my room crying from hearing the arguements between my parents and her.

I know this is a very long post but I wanted to give information about my errors, the actual mental things I'm now feeling and a little history about my background/personality/where I come from.

I'm I just permanently f****d up over all the chaos that went on in my pre-teen/teenage years?

Does my past have nothing to do with my issues and I'm actually just a horrible person?

Even though I know couples have survived infidelity by putting in the work to better the relationship, why do I feel like mine has no chance of surviving? If I KNOW I love my bf, why does my mind question and deny it?

Will I ever be able to control my thoughts? Is this a case of obsessing over intrusive thoughts?

Is there any way my past connects with all of this?

Does it get better?

I'm so tired of staying up because I feel like I'm having a panic attack. Negative thoughts, heart pounding, sweating, indigestion and sometimes vomiting.

My bf is my best friend, I want to grow old with him, when the times are good they are GOOD and oh my god nothing feels better than being in his arms. I know that after what I did I should feel guilt but this is honestly getting to a point where I'm scared of myself and my thoughts.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

whilst im not in your situation my ex broke things off with me coz he didnt know how he felt and still doesnt (i believe due to depression)

i havent been through half the things you have in life however i fan relate to the thoughts over taking, my head bounces from one side to the other on the exact same subject and i dont know how to make them stop.

i do actually think its a sign of depression or anxiety and i have started counselling because i to self sabbotaged my relationship with my ex (not by cheating but by letting myself believe the negative thoughts and grilling him on it)

when you overthink like we do, generally they are negative thoughts.

maybe you should go see your dr to discuss it and try getting some counselling or something

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time to read this ridiculously long post and writing to me. I'm so sorry about your ex, hopefully he too can sort his feelings out soon and you guys can make it work. The excessive thoughts truly are exhausting and confusing, it makes you question what is real and what isn't. Has counseling worked for you? Do you take any meds? I haven't gotten help due to being unemployed at the moment and not having access to affordable health care but I start working soon so hopefully I'll finally be able to get health care and the help I need.

• Posted

thanks hun, i hope so too, still massively hopeful!

erm, my dr didnt want me to start taking meds until we see what counselling could do.

i am still early days and i still massively overthink and have negative thoughts but i do think it helps to talk and kind of get those thoughts out. i think it helps you realise that some or your thinking isnt true

• Posted

hi anonymous, even though this is a long post what i read that jumped out was assault - have had support for this? the other thing i didn't read was to do with counsellng. has there ever been any support offered for this? you need to occasionally look after you, you can't help anyone else if you are not right. i wish you both some luck.

• Posted

Hello. Thank you for taking the time to respond. No, I haven't gone to counseling or gotten any help. I am planning to do so soon since I'll finally have health care soon.

• Posted

hi anon, i am glad to hear you are finally getting some support, i think you need it, sometimes relationships are so intense it hurts more than 1 person! i wish you luck i hope the support you get is enough!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.