Anxiety management tips needed please

Posted , 4 users are following.

Although I suffered with anxiety for brief periods in my younger days it raised its ugly head again 6 months ago after a 25 year break.I have always had very mild anxiety when travelling and being away from the family but nothing I couldn't deal with.Now I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder (and depression) and I just find it so hard to cope with.I am on my fourth type of antidepressants which have not helped the anxiety though It is only early days on my current SSRI.The only relief I get is from valium which I hate being a slave to and as I have been on it 4 weeks the psychiatrist is going to put me on something else tomorrow such as a mood stabiliser rather than a benzo.I have weekly therapy and have had very little success with cognitive behaviour therapy or mindfulness though I am currently doing a workbook on Mindfullness and ACT.I do guided breathing exercises daily and I walk daily though I no longer enjoy it.Fortunately I have only had one panic attack a month ago requiring an ambulance to home and my heart goes out to people who suffer these often.They are seriously scary things.

I am really interested to hear from other anxiety sufferers who may have some ideas or techniques that they find effective when the anxiety starts to get intense.Like most people I can function with that mild anxiety knot in the stomach but when it really starts gripping hard I just start to fret and can not function at all

Looking forward to hearing from anyone who may be able to help and thanks for taking the time to read this.Regards Rick

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I am very sorry to hear of your difficulties. I hardly qualify to comment as I only have had one entirely off the wall anxiety period. Until then I could not have believed any anxiety could be so painful and all consuming. It was also situation specific, which will be unlike your afliction. I had no medical help. I came to the forum frequently through the day. New friends on the forum dealt with me kindly, firmly and truthfully. In a week they had managed to get me back to being a rational person managing my fears and anxieties at a sensible level relative to the realities of my situation.

As an adjunct to your therapy I suggest a loving group of friends on the forum with you in frequent daily contact might well be of benefit.

• Posted

Hi GeorgeGG

Thanks for taking the time to reply.I am so glad you have only had the one episode of anxiety as living with it daily is extremely hard as you can imagine.It sounds like the forum was really useful for you and I am hoping I can get the same benefits and help other people whenever I can.I think your suggestion of gathering a really supportive group of friends on the forum is a great one and I hope to do just that.Thanks again.Cheers from Rick

• Posted

Thanks Fozbear, I shall volunteer as a friend. You may accept or decline with perfect freedom. I always find it very difficult to find the place for inviting a friend. I shall do it when I stumble again on the right screen.

Wishing you well and free from your affliction. George

• Posted

Thanks George.Your friendship is most welcome.As I have learned through my illness friends and family are the most valuable things in life.I fell for the trappings of wealth and success but at times like these they mean nothing to me.Look forward to chatting again soon Cheers from Rick
  • Posted

As a fellow GAD sufferer i'm here for you too Foz, and be good to hear how you get on. I've get my second session of CBT tomorrow.

What AD's have you used in past? Have any helped with the anxiety? I'm on venlafaxine, which havent done much, and couldnt handle the side effects of prozac or citalopram

• Posted

Hi el_shiz

Take remeron at night for sleep which is brilliant.Have tried Pristiq and Cymbalta both SSNIs but side effects intolerable though Cymbalta was brilliant for getting rid of pain.Just started Citalopram 20mg two weeks ago  and luckily the side effects of dizziness nausea and headaches have been very mild and have just about gone.I have however experienced a jump in anxiety and lowering of mood which has been very unpleasant and I hope this goes soon.The only thing that has helped my anxiety so far is valium and the Cymbalta did but I was just too sick to stay on it.Seeing pdoc tomorrow and I think he is going to put me on something like Seroquel for the anxiety to get me off the valium.My friend takes Seroquel and has had great success with it.Cheers from Rick

• Posted

Yes.Remeron taken at night for sleep and 2 weeks ago put on Citalopram for depression and anxiety.Initially the plan was for the Remeron to achieve this but the only benefit I seem to get from it is a good night's sleep
  • Posted

Hi Rick, sounds like your doing a lot to be honest, keep up the exercise even if you don't enjoy it. Breathing exercises help relieve an attack by breathing in using your stomach (your stomach rises) through your nose over a 6 count, hold for 2, breath out through pursed lips for count if 6 until your anxiety starts to subside.

Try and rationalise and modt important that any anticipatory anxiety is not ever close to how bad you anticipate it to be.

Try not to avoid situations you believe or have felt anxious in as much as possible and face the fear.

Pisitive affermations an and reward yourself for getting through each day.

Hope it helps. N

• Posted

Thanks Aspinan,

The breathing exercises you have suggested are good ones.My only problem is I often start to panic before they have a chance to work and I give up on them too early.

I am doing a good walk each day which I used to love so much but now I just do it because I know it is important in getting better.

I know you are right about rewarding myself for getting through each day.Something I do do is keep a "positive journal" daily which I record small achievements in.However I don't think I really acknowledge them internally and beat myself up because they seem so trivial to what I used to achieve before my anxiety and depression.

I agree with you totally about not avoiding things due to anxiety but it is a trap I have fallen into lately.I have even put off my monthly haircut appointment because of the fear of having anxiety when I am due to go.I know I am going to have to be braver and not give into the fear.Just 6 months ago I was so confident and I feel like a totally different person now.It is amazing how this horrible affliction can rob you of your self esteem so quickly.I just can't wait to have the old happy, friendly and chatty me back again.

Thanks for your support Aspinan.Warm regards from Rick

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.