Anxiety medication stories

Posted , 6 users are following.

hello this post is about anxiety medications, I would like to know the personal stories people have with their experience on medication and what types if possible. Did the medication help? Does it make the worrying fade away so a normal life can be lived? I am currently debating goin on the prescribed medication cipralex which is an SSRI but I am worried about side effects and if they will make me feel worse. Thanks for your time

2 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi dtrick,

i believe eve we have spoken before, I am on Paroxetine which is also an SSRI, I have been on it six weeks and am starting to feel the effects, the side effects were quite strange for the first few weeks and I still have the shakes some times. My solution was to keep a daily journal of how I felt, anything I noticed both in mind and body and I would take this with me when I saw my GP, he found it useful because he could reassure me what was normal. Stay strong my friend

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

My experiences are:

Citalopram (SSRI): Drowsey, spaced-out, lethargy, relaxed, thoughts still in my head but the edge was taken off. Due to the sleep of 14 hours a day minimum, I developed BPPV (positional vertigo), due to that I changed to Sertraline.

Sertraline (SSRI): Feels milder for me, edge taken off, more level feeling. I shall continiue with sertraline & monitor it, so far it seems to be a better option for my particular biology. 

With both my MDD/GAD/OCD are all this noticable, but more manageable, with CBT, it is improving.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I had a break down after my fiance's suicide 7 years ago, although I had suffered from some anxiety and the occassional panic attack prior to that. I have been taking escitalopram since. At the start, the side effects were fairly odd, dry mouth, bizarre dreams (that I still have at times but don't worry me), and a total gestation of any libido. I am on 10mg a day and think I may be on them for the rest of my life. I now suffer hugely from health anxiety and worry (also have IBS/fibromyalgia/osteoarthritis/gerd! which doesn't really help). However, I do feel the SSRI DOES help me, a lot actually and would definately recommend that you give it a go. A journal is a fabulous idea and will help you notice improvements. I wish you the very best. Good luck.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Does the medication make the worrying fade? The on edge feeling? Also I'm sorry you have developed health anxiety. The medication does not seem to help with that?
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I imagine that I wouldn't be able to cope with the health anxiety as well as I do without the SSRI but it still impacts on my life and I have been unable to work because of it for three years now. The escitalopram does take the edge off the worry, it helps me sleep too and many of my original symptoms, like a racing heartbeat and shaking have all but disappeared. I am due to start CBT soon and I hope that helps too.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I don't know anything about Cipralex - presumably your GP is prescribing that. I have been using Mirtazapine for eighteen months, and Pregabalin for the last three months. They are working quite well, though mornings can be bad for anxiety. A young niece of mine has suffered similar anxiety and she is herself a GP. She has used low doze Mirtazapine and therapy, with mindfulness. I find that helps as well. Check it online if you don't know what it is. It takes time and determination but it can work.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up