Anxiety mental symtoms

Posted , 5 users are following.

Can people please tell me some mental symtoms for anxiety just so I can cope better

1 like, 11 replies

Report / Delete

11 Replies

• Posted

Sorry George, google will tell you things like that, that isn't what this forum is for
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

This  is not true. What ever you do dont google it will make it worse. You have came to the right place. Maybe you could be a little bit more detailed aboit what you experiancing and I can tell you if it is a common thing for anxiety. I am in no way a health professional but I have dealt with anxiety and panic disorder for 8 years now.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

No sorry it is true. This is not the place to collect others personal and painful symptoms. Its a place e to share and ask questions, to help and find comfort. Questions such as this give the impression of information gathering and are not allowed here, and just leads to the question being removed
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Sharing symtoms is sharing experiences people have done it before on here and if your not a admin you have no right to say what is right and saying I should google things is silly I have OCD and anxiety disorder on the sevre levels if I see the word cancer I go into panic I'm told to stay of there for health checking 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I have so many weird things going on my most hated one is abnormal thinking I think horrible things then thinks it's true and go crazy I've planed my funeral because I'm confident I'm going to die anytime soon I'm only 15 btw I've had some trauma in the past which hasent helped and have a sevre anxiety disorder and OCD had a physical examination and a consoeuler. I'm now waiting for my psychiatrist to ring up and make some more appointments... There is one things I'm curious about though before it go to sleep the thoughts I have just before I sleep are really loud and real I don't know how to explain it and this always ends with a sudden jolt of panic any ideas?
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Exactly my point, sharing is what its all about. Your first post was asking others to tell you their issues without you sharing any of theirs. Why should others do that? Its no different than randomly googling for symptoms. Its up to others if they take the risk. Asking others to essentially give you info rather than googling for it really isn't any different. Its a community here,all about sharing. To just ask for info without sharing any background is inappropriate
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I have made numerous post about myself and read above I give you most of my personal info it's not against terms and conditions got a problem with it simply leave this section of the forum I was asking for any symtoms which I could have and was interested with other peoples info this is a forum wearer people understand google does not as it gives you things you don't want to know and people decide if they write or not about there experience I'm not forcing it now if you have nothing else to say related to it please not write on this post again much appreciated. George 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi George, I can only tell you what I experienced and I hope this is helpful. Firstly, the anxiety was caused by something. This may have been one specific event or experience that traumatised you or it may have been a contribution from several factors that were building up and accumulating. It's imoprtant to try to identify the cause or causes of what set your anxiety off. You're probably feeling scared, shakey, possibly feeling cold temperatures more acutely than before, possibly "unhinged" that is, you think your out of control and want to scream, shout or run away and hide. You might even feel like your going mad and that things that once wouldn't have caused you any fear are now terrifyting. That's what I experienced. Don't worry though Geogre because all of this is normal for panic attacks. The thing to remember is that a panic attack can't physically hurt you and that it will eventually pass. Jolly uncomfortable but transient. If you experience chest pain and difficulty getting a satisfying breath of air it's most likely just a muscular tightness in your chest and not your heart and something called "air hunger". If you're worried about this though get yourself to a hospital and tell them you've got chest pain and breathing difficulty. They should do an ECG to exclude a real heart attack. Also ask them to check your thyroid function. There are cases of undiagnosed hyperthyroidism that are being wrongly treated for anxiety. That said, if you need to calm down quickly you should accept treatment with a benzodiazepine drug (e.g. Valium) BUT only a low dose and NEVER take these pills for more than TWO weeks! You do NOT want to become dependent on this stuff. Try to see a Psychologist who should be able to recommend a drug free course of treatment. From my own experience I'd have prefered to have just ridden out the anxiety rather than take Ativan for even the short length of time that I took it (9 weeks) because withdrawing from this stuff was far worse than the anxiety and panic attacks to begin with. I hope this is helpful George. Good luck and God Bless you.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

As this post hasn't been moderated out, I think we can assume that it is OK. Let's not become too fascist about what is allowable and what isn't. This forum is for all those suffering. Let's have a bit of compassion here.

George, obviously we are not psychiatrists or professionals but we do have a lot of direct experience of anxiety states. There is a lot of wisdom and knowledge on this forum so have a look at other posts as well.

My own experience of mental symptoms of anxiety is:

1. mental terror and desperation. The brain becomes flooded with adrenaline. This causes it to speed up and become fragmented as the brain desperatly seeks out the cause of the fear. It will therefore come up with every possible catastrophic scenario that it can think of, death, cancer, heart attack are favorites. The mind becomes hyper-vigilant of any little change in the body and then exagerates it to its' worse case scenario. ie. spots can turn into terminal diseases, raised heart rate becomes a heart attack, a headache becomes a stroke, mental racing becomes a mental illness. This is because your mind is rushing about from one thing to another trying to come up with a reason for this feeling of anxiety. If it can 'diagnose' it as something definate then it believes it can come up with a 'cure'. So the mind becomes fragmented and panicky which can be very disturbing. The thing is - there is nothing wrong with you, you are just experiencing the effects of adrenaline in your body which we label 'anxiety'. The fear of fear. So you wont find an 'answer'. Therefore the mind goes on and on, endlessly going over what is 'wrong' with you. Endlessly watching for signs of an imminent attack. You may get paranoid and worry about what other people think of you. You may beat yourself up, thinking that you are lacking some moral value, like courage etc. You may think you are pathetic that you cannot get over this. You may endlessly worry that you are going mad. NONE of these things are true!

You are experiencing the effects of adrenaline in your body and that's all! Anxiety is not a mental illness, nobody has ever died or gone mad from anxiety. It cannot harm you, it just feels really really horrible and very very uncomfortable in the body.

The only reason it does not pass easily is because we become obsessed with it and think about how terrible it is, all day long! This is also why it is not a good idea to google any medical issue. Go and see your doctor instead. Thinking about how anxious we are and what a terrible thing it is to be anxious  just makes us more anxious and produces more adrenaline. Bit of a Catch-22!

In short, when in an anxiety state, your thoughts may be strange, bizarre, scary, unusual, weird, frightening and detached. None of which means anything! These are only the kind of thoughts that are produced by anxiety. They are not true! and will go away when you come out of the anxiety state.Try to ignore them as best you can. They are nothing to be worried about. Distract yourself as best you can and concentrate on DOING things rather than THINKING about things. Get out of your head and into your body as much as possible. Even doing the washing up can be good (even if your hands are trembling, so what!). Exercise, meeting safe friends, playing music, reading a book, go for a walk etc. and just try to ignore the anxious thoughts AS BEST YOU CAN! Dont put pressure on yourself to succeed, or fight it, or achieve anything for a while. Be kind to yourself as much as possible.

(fighting and striving will just agitate your 'fight or flight' response and produce more adrenaline, being kind does the opposite)

Hope some of this is useful to you

Good luck xx 

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up