anxiety nearly gone but now feeling depressed !

Posted , 6 users are following.

i have been taking citalopram 20mg for 3 months now and my anxiety has reduced a lot , but since being on this med i have felt so depressed and its getting worse , i never really suffered with depression only severe anxiety , has anyone else had this on meds , i thought the anxiety was bad and that i would never be free of it , but i would take it back to get rid of this depression . going round in circles , dr not any help , just looks at the next med on the list , doesnt want to listen to what i have to say , just says keep taking the med . he hasnt ever had to live with this condition then he might to be more sympathetic . any suggestions would be helpfull 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi terry, sorry to hear that you have gone from anxiety to depression thats not good, I have both so have never responded this way, but I really think you should go back to your doctors, or even see a different one at the same surgery, and just say how bad it is, and ask if the Citalopram does this and does it help with depression.  Sorry I have no other advice but just thought you would like to be listened and get a answer. I hope it works when you go back to your gp. Good luck
    • Posted

thanks for your reply , i think i will take your advice .  need to find some sort of rest from this terrible illness
  • Posted

its frustrating isnt it. especially since i think many of us have become quite knowledgeable about the subject and diff things to try and they treat us like dummies .Doctors see this soo much its like they dont care anymore and just toss a few pills. If you really think about it are you positive that you didnt have some depression to. If not try weening down and switch meds or maybe try some natural supplements. I just started 5mg of this stuff afew days ago and i dont think i lll be going any higher (if i can help it) after so many reviews like yours. I should have tried my natural supplements for a longer time..
  • Posted

Hi terry, I'm sorry to hear that you are having some problems with your mental health, however you might be going down a slippery slope if you played around with your current medication. For one thing you just cannot stop an SSRI medication like citalopram dead, because you would get a rebound which makes the anxiety and other symptoms 3 times worse. SSRI's are for depression. Someone who suffers from an acute anxiety state will have similar or same symptoms as depression hence the selective seretoin reuptake inhibitor that has been prescribed by your GP to reduce the symptoms and feelings. Only they should be discussing with you about adding something or changing your medication.

If you are reading this post kevin, I'm sorry, I am not advocating what you have said in your previous post because you just cannot go around telling people that they should stop taking their medication and go for a herbal alternative. That my friend is down right dangerous. By all means get the person to get another consultation with their GP to discuss the alternatives or someting else to treat the ongoing depression. 

Psychosocial interventions are very good and it does not matter what talking therapy is suggested they will all have a theraputic effect. Any way terry I hope you do go back and see your GP, so that you can get back on track in dealing with this illness. Best regards Peter.

• Posted

Didn't say stop cold turkey only consider weening down over the course of a few months.
    • Posted

Hi kevin, thanks for your reply. By all means ween off over several months but the problem is what titration regime is he to follow? There are several, one regime for each type of medication. Get it wrong and and it can all go pear shaped. Best regards Peter.
    • Posted

thank you for reply ,  i am in the progress of coming of cit 20mg for 1 week and then 10mg for 1 week then go on to sertraline 100mg do you think this is to fast or should i just switch and take my chance , i have been on the cit for nearly 4 months , but side effects and depression are still bad
  • Posted

Hi Terry, what ever you do dont switch, come off the citalopram as I assume your doctor told you and then start the new medication as your doctor again have told you

dont do anything by yourself, take note what other people are telling you on here, you shouldnt just stop any medication without gp/psychiatrist advice. Hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.