Anxiety? Need help/Advice

Posted , 3 users are following.

I need some advice, a few months ago my boyfriends brother was in a car accident (hit & run) he was seriously hurt but thankfully getting better now. 

For some reason this seems to have affected me deeply and I've become extremely nervous when driving. I'm a good driver, careful always check my mirrors don't drive over the speed limit etc but I'm terrified of knocking someone over etc.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sorry I'll continue here....

I'm so scared it has gotten to the point where if I forget to check in one of my mirrors I have to turn round and check where I have just been to make sure I haven't hit a car or hit a person. I even check local police sites for any hit and run incidents. I would never run away from something like that but I worry what if I did hit someone and didn't realise and I carried on going, I would be in so much trouble.

I feel like I'm going insane but I can't seem to shake this worry. I've spoken to my sister about it and she said I will get over it soon enough. 

I've tried taking vitamins, tried meditating, tried writing my thoughts down but it hasn't worked. 

Please does anyone have anything they can recommend? I can't not drive as my work requires me to. 

I'm so scared I won't get over this. Please help

Thanks

• Posted

Sorry, I think we were both typing at the same time.

As you're obviously experiencing some major issues I would definitely go and have a chat with your GP.  They will be able to refer you for counselling or suggest some things that may help.

• Posted

Hi Freddo.  I think this is a reasonable reaction to what has happened as you've seen what damage a car can do to a person. 

It's still quite soon after the accident so don't worry just yet that you're nevous of driving but if it starts to become (or already is) a big issue you might want to consider some counselling.  Talking through your fears and being reassured that you're going to be OK may help.

It is very unlikely that you would hurt someone while you're driving, especially as you are obviously a very careful driver.

• Posted

Glad his on the mend you don’t need to worry if your careful its only people who don't pay attention e.g when they're on phones  or drunk drivers  and you'll be fine 
  • Posted

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it. 

I was thinking of going to my gp i just know I will end up bursting into tears so I'm just building myself up to it. 

I'm praying I overcome this because its really a horrible feeling. I love my car & I used to really enjoy driving but now I almost dread it 

• Posted

The car accident clearly has you worried.  Try and be fatalistic and accept what will be will be and also continue to be careful on the roads.  No one can predict the future and accidents will still happen whatever your actions you cannot always predict other road users correctly so be vigilant.

Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.