anxiety not lifting

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have been on mitazapine fir 4 months for anxiety and depression, i still have lots of anxiety manifesting itself with symptoms such as ear pressure, heart beating fast, feeling as though someone is pulling my face skin, and my brain feeling weird.. does anyone else have these symptoms and had relief from any medication?? Im due to go back to my docs to change my anti d to another one, but want to know if anyone had similiar symptons with successful treatment from medication??

1 like, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there. I have been taking Mirt 15mg for 3 months for depression and anxiety. My mood has lifted and I am feeling less anxious, although it tends to come in waves. I have also started some therapy in the form of CBT as I don’t think that only medication is the whole answer for many of us. I am looking at the past pain in my life and how that has contributed to my illness, which I am finding helpful. I do have some weird feelings at times which I realise are side effects of the medication but I have decided not to increase the medication or change it as it seems, from what others post here, that you swap one set of side effects for another. I hope some of that helps, be kind to yourself.
    • Posted

I am due to start CBT next week, what are your symtons of anxiety?
    • Posted

Yes it is! I can say that I know how it feels to be ‘paralysed by fear’ I live alone and before the medication started to help I spent one day sitting in my dining room counting the wooden floorboards to try to distract myself it was terrible. I hope you have some good support.
    • Posted

i was on hormone injections for endometriosis which triggered off panic attacks, depression and severe anxiety... my gp kept telling me that it was side effects however it just got worse and worse.. in the end i was hospitalised and saw a psychiatrist who put me onto mirazapine and diazapam... i was hoping the mitazapine would of done something noticeable by now, but im still waiting and taking my diazapam... im going to ask for a different anti depressant.. the anxiety is horrific... i keep thinking if only i never had those daft injections. ive exchanged one set of problems to another.. id much rather have the period pain than the anxiety.. i have support from my family but even when i try to explain about the anxiety they dont understand... i just pray that another tablet will work better... 
    • Posted

It is SO difficult for people to understand the anxiety if they have never experienced it. I don’t blame them. Let your support know what they can do for you that would help you. If it’s a hug you need, or to run a warm bath for you etc I have found that my good friends were only too pleased when I suggested practical things that would help me. I hope you will find what works for you. Take care you WILL come through this. 
    • Posted

Im sorry but ive struggled with anxiety for decades. Ive had a gizillion baths in that time. Anxiety is a life destroying condition and needs more detail that taking a bath
    • Posted

Hi Raj thank you, how kind of you to ask. It’s 12 weeks since I started Mirt, I continue to improve. The anxiety comes in waves but not daily now. I have started weekly therapy and have been able to identify  where fear and anxiety began as a small child. This is going to be VERY beneficial for me , I think. I had one panic attack last week in the supermarket but was able to deal with and it eventually passed! I was so pleased with myself. All the best to you Raj
  • Posted

Raj, whatever you do, do not stop the mirt overnight. Even if the dr is going to put you on another drug. After 4 months on mirt, it stopped working for my insomnia. All i was left with was terrible anxiety, depression, sleep deprivation, 40lbs and a alot of OCD. Hope it gets better.
    • Posted

evening Gretel, What medication do you take now for the depression and anxiety... ? 
    • Posted

Hi Raj, i am not taking anything for depression or anxiety. Im just riding it out. Hope you are feeling some relief soon.
  • Posted

You don't mention the dosage you are at but I will say from my own experience first at 15mg then 30mg it did not do much for my anxiety (GAD). Sleep like the dead though and have not had any weight issues. I also take 10mg escitalopram for anxiety.  I have tried most of the current antidepressants plus CBT over many years and got the most benefit from the benzodiazepines. Unfortunately not recommend long term but work like a charm. Keep in mind that each individual will have their own unique experience (side effects). Just the other day even while on the aforementioned meds I had five panic attacks. Only difference now is I know what to expect and just let it happen and move on. The more you allow those feelings to upset you the more they will. If you don't mind I would like to know the changes if any your Doctor makes for you. Stay strong.

• Posted

evening James, Im seeing my useless dr on Tuesday  and I am going to ask for a different anti depressant. Im currently on 45 mg of mitazapine since Nov, the only difference I found was that my anxiety starting lifting in the evenings so much that I could do a tesco shop without needing a diazapam.. id go to sleep feeling fine but would return with all the anxiety in the morning.. I think my gaba receptor in my brain is misfiring or something..... i also find that im not sleeping as well with the mirtz anymore
    • Posted

does escitolopram help with the anx? enough to bring it down?
    • Posted

I am not totally pleased with the efficacy of the escitalopram (Lexapro). I had been on it several years ago and did not like the side effects so stopped and returned to lorazepam. But Dr will not prescribe for long term use. I had been on the Mirtazapine 15mg for about a year and I was sleeping well but waking with an uncomfortable level of anxiety that stayed with me for most of the day. Dose was increased to 30mg but really did not help much. Still waking anxious and feeling quite unsettled a good part of the day. So I was willing to go back on the escitalopram hoping that the two meds together would help.

Many have had great results with escitalopram so it would not hurt to give it a try.  Please keep me posted.

• Posted

Known as Lyrica in the US and generic not available until some time this year. Wickedly expensive here $300-$400 per month. Health care and drug cost big issue in the US. Will be one to look at when cost comes down. 
    • Posted

Well Ive been to my doctor, he has lowered my mitazapine to 30mg and introduced Citalopram 10mg.. i am to start taking it in a couple of days. ive read reviews on citalopram and they seem really good but its only when you try a drug do we know if it will work. 

Pregablin is quite cheap in the uk but our doctors dont like prescribing it due to addiction, however psychiatrists will  prescribe it as they know how it is important.

Im seeing my psychiatrist at the end of Feb. 

• Posted

Hope this works for you. We are now on the same schedule 30mg mirtazapine 10mg escitalopram. Thanks for the news, I would appreciate any follow up information you would care to share.
    • Posted

Hi Raj, I see You planning to start Citalopram. Please read the comments on this med in this form under Citalopram. I am on 30 mgs and have been for a week to ten days now. That is after I was prescribed 10 for three months and then uppd to 20 for a week and now stable at 30. The reasin for this reply to you is that in a lot of cases Cit takes time to work. Think of months, not days or weeks. Sure you may be one of the lucky ones who magically responds to it in days but just be ready. It is a marvellous medication for anxiety and depression. Please be patient. I am also on 15 mgs of Mirtazapine to sleep and it is working very well in that respect. These two meds were prescribed by my Psychiatrist when I was briefly hospitalized after I past out. I am grateful to my Psychiatrist as he was the one who told me about the Mirtazapine and to increase the dose of Citalopram from 10 to 30. It is night and day for me now . Not 100% yet but better rhan before. I though I would encourage to be patient with the Citalopram and expect it to work. It will!
    • Posted

Hi Kaycee, Im really pleased to hear the positive reports about Citalopram.. And I’m really pleased to hear you are doing well now.. I’m really hoping that I will respond to Citalopram... The anxiety is horrible and just need to see the end of it... My psychiatrist initially put me onto Mitazapine but it wasnt helping the anxiety and now Citalopram has been added... Im really really hoping and praying that I get better...  I’m just going to pop my pills and give it time, my family say that depression didnt come over night so it will not leave overnight.. 
    • Posted

Hi Raj you make a very good point when you wrote ‘depression didn’t come overnight so it won’t go overnight’ when I read that I realised that I had become increasingly low during last year before the depression hit me big

time in November. So thank you

for that. 

• Posted

I would agree with you, the best thing by far for my anxiety has been the diazepam, but its habit forming so not to be taken long term.  I found mirtazapine a killer Nd still trying to get off it, dropping low slowly.  Citalopram i havent had but ssris dont seem to work for me
    • Posted

it is true, looking back I was also very tired for no reason and being quite negative about things.. not really like me... 

If only we had known what was to come we would of taken steps to prevent it getting worse... 

• Posted

raj, I have just realized that we are actually talking about two different drugs. I have been discussing my experience with escitalopram aka Lexapro. Whereas you are referring to citalopram aka Celexa. They are similar but not the same. 

To answer your question: yes I have noticed a lessoning of the constant background "noise" of anxiety and my hope is to be a fully functioning rational person in situations where otherwise I would be in an emotional meltdown. Time will tell.

• Posted

It's a shame that there isn't a drug available with the efficacy of the benzodiazepines without the dependency issues. I was able to get regular scripts for lorazepam for years from my GP and did not consider myself addicted. I stopped when my psychiatrist would not prescribe and switched to the mirtazapine + escitalopram as a substitute. So now I am probably "hooked" on the mirtazapine which in my mind is the same as an addiction. Go figure!

• Posted

hey james, I think I read that  your tablet is slightly more superior to my tablets.... but james I am very pleased to hear that it is making some difference...

Our GP in England tend to start us off pn Citalopram ( celexa) or Sertraline, however if we see a psychiatrist they tend to use more varied drugs.. 

• Posted

I’m still surprised that in all the advances in medicine that we are still limited in finding medication specifically for anxiety, we are still bound by either benzo’s or antidepressants.... which may or may not help... Pregablin is another tablet but like the benzos we can build up a tolerance to it... 

From this entire experience the most important lesson is to value our mental health.. We tend to look at physical health but the mental health is just important. 

• Posted

Yep, once they have caught you it seems you never get out of their hands, moving from one drug to another. Seems never ending.
    • Posted

So far so good is all I can say at the moment. How about your experience thus far?
    • Posted

Ive not noticed anything yet.... 

still only taking 10mg though so I probably need alittle more. Im going to ask to reduce the mirtz to 15, i dont find it to be very good for me... 

You may be on a winning formula with your anxiety!! good for you 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.