Anxiety or heart problem?

Posted , 6 users are following.

hiya,

im 17 years old young healthy fit male that regularly exercises and plays football. Around 4 months ago my dad had an heart attack which was a real traumatic event for me. He survived it and is in good health. a few days after his heart attack i was sitting down playing my playstation and out of nowhere i had discomfort and burning in my chest i panicked and my heart rate increased crazy, felt like my heart was going to explode. i was then took to A and E where they did and ECG and blood tests and told me its nothing to do with your heart and its just your anxiety. I was discharged the same night. The whole night i had chest pain and the next morning i called the GP. They said we have your ECG here and your blood tests its just your anxiety causing the chest pain so i ignored it. My dad that had a heart attack had severe left arm pain which i kept thinking about and i few days later i started having it then i said to myself im going to have a heart attack then was taken to A and E again but this time i had heart burn and left arm pain and they did another ECG and said its fine again. Now its been 4 months and my grandad passed away which made it worse. and recently my uncle passed away from a heart attack and its made me have all the heart burn and left arm pain again and im freaking out i dont know if its all anxiety or not but everyone medical professional i have spoken to has said it is. Please tell me what yous think about this?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

anxiety can mimic a heart attack by causing chest pain and other symptoms including erasing heart, shortness of breath etc.

what happened to your dad and also your grand father must have surely caused you great anxiety which is registered in your mind. your brain can produce the same symptoms that your relatives had because you were thinking about it and worrying about yourself. yet it’s all produced by anxiety.

you have been thoroughly checked out by the doctors so you can rest assured that your heart is fine. The more you worry about it the more you will have those symptoms. What I would do if I were you is to turn it around and relax my mind as much as possible.

There are some great short breathing exercises on YouTube that you can do to get in better control. Proper breathing is the key to fighting the anxiety. there are also meditations for anxiety as well as overthinking which I really think you are doing.

Just get your yearly physical check ups by your doctor and if everything is OK, relax and live your life!

because of your family history, Make sure that you live a healthy lifestyle which includes a very healthy diet and one that is low and fats and sugar. don’t smoke, get regular exercise, destress, and as you get older get your cholesterol levels checked. blood pressure, etc. but you don’t have to live in fear. Do those things and enjoy your life. Heart disease is one of those things that if you live a healthy lifestyle, anything that comes up can be caught very early and fixed. You’re going to be just fine. ❤

• Posted

hi,

thanks so much for replying i think im just keep thinking about it which is causing it all too. Thanks for ur advice means a lot.

• Edited

hello, i too always feel like i have heart issues even though i have had a ultrasound of my heart. ots anxiety try taking omeprazol, tums or gas x. its scary as heck, but i doubt you would be having a heart attack this young with no underlying health issues. hang in there!

• Posted

thanks will try that out. Yeah thats what everyone says to me that its no chance you can have an heart attack at this age but google says different 😦

• Edited

Hi there

I can totally sympathize with you. Anxiety is a clever creature and it can lead you to believe that you have all sorts of things wrong with you as they can present as actual physical symptoms. I have lost count the amount of ECG's I have had due to severe panic attacks. Every time I got checked out everything was normal. It sounds like you had a very traumatic time when your dad had his heart attack. My advice is don't worry if you have been checked out by a doctor. Keep on talking to people and you will find that this too will pass. If your panic attacks still happen go back to your GP and ask him to refer you for some CBT. The website MIND has some really useful tips on how to deal with a panic attack and they helped me a lot. Take care

• Posted

thanks susan,

i have spoke to the GP but they dont really take me serious they just tell me you have to live with it its all in your head. Main problem is i keep googling my symptoms and it says heart attack all the time which makes me anxious all the time now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.