Anxiety or Heart Problem? I'm 17 years old!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi. I'm 17 years old and over the past month or so I've had these GOD AWFUL LIFE CHANGING symptoms of both anxiety AND heart disease amongst other things. I'm a bodybuilder and have high fitness levels. I go to gym as often as I can to stay healthy. My diet is horrible however. I eat anything. That is my life. 

Heres how it started. 

About a a month ago I woke up to my heart beat being extremely hard and I could feel it constantly like it was gonna jump out of my chest. I ignored these symptoms passing it off as nothing serious. A week or so after that I still felt it and began to feel concerned for my heart. One day I was at my friends, was perfectly calm one minute but suddenly his mother and cousin came home and I felt so fatigued and really sh*tty. Worst feeling ever. Normally I'm great around people. So I left his home and went home. I was at my nanas at the time and told her. I told my cousin who I'm close with and go to gym with. He tried telling me it's nothing serious and probably stress but I get these symptoms when calm. Anyways days go by and I go to gym. Suddenly midway through workout I can't get a satisfying breath. Breathing starts okay than at the end of the breath it feels my chest is blocked and can't get that last bit of air. Than I felt weak. I began to panic thinking I was having a heart attack. My left arm felt tingly so I went home. I sat down and got dry mouth and my heart rate was 120-130. I told my nana and we dialled 111. They told me to go to hospital so I did. My heart rate was persistently 120. They hooked me to e ECG (sorry if wrong spelling) and observed me. My heart rate was going from 90 to 130 to 110 for 6 hours straight!! I felt adrenaline soaring through me. I was shaking on my hospital bed and couldn't keep still. They gave me a beta blocker and I felt amazing. Normal. They kept me in over night. I still had symptoms days after and to this day. 

Over the the years I had chest pain but it was quick sharp stings like anxiety ones. Not a crushing feeling but now it ranges from dull to stings and lasts for periods of times. 

A week ago ago I had my first real panic attack and it was terrible. I feel I have health anxiety I tell myself it's that but I also think more it's my heart. I'm waiting to hear from a cardiologist to get the all clear / bad news. All together I've had about 2 panic attacks. Maybe 3 this past week or two thinking its a heart attack coming on. Please help I hate this!

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I know the feeling I get a fast heart rate and pains and feels like it's beating out of chest I have noticed this in the last month and I also think I have health anxiety as this has happened Since I had a viral infection as was taken to hospital and ever since then I have not felt the same. So I know how you are feeling.

• Posted

Cole

As a person who is also into bodybuilding I can relate to the worry when in the gym.

Are you taking any PEDS or stimulants? Ephedrine included?

That aside...what you have gone through is exactly what happened to me. Difference here is im 39.

My first panic attack came out of the blue with the almost exact manner in which you describe. I went to the hospital and hooked up to ecg and my HR was up at 120 for few hours. I then went orivate and got echo done. My heart got the all clear but now i have anxiety relating to my heart and breathing where its a vicious circle.

Once you get the all clear you will then need to manage the anxiety. But getting the all clear will help significantly. I can relate to the short breaths and feeling that somethijg is blocked as once the brain recognises that thought a sufden releasr of andrenaline can start and then you are in a full panic attack

But right now....first thing to do is get the all clear on your heart and potentially lungs and overall health.

• Posted

No stimulants or anything like that. It's relieving to know others have it the same however tragic it is. Thanks for your support pal and I hope you beat it man. 

• Posted

Cole maybe you need to be on beta blockers to help your heartbeat from being too fast and then you should be OK again.  Ask your Dr and see if that would help.
    • Posted

Hey Richard. It's not constantly going at a fast rate. I only get aches and pains. Than when I think they're heart related my heart races which triggers a feeling of I'm going to do now. I can't help it rolleyes

• Posted

You might have panic disorder which entails panic attacks triggering your fast heart beats.
    • Posted

how are things now? Have they calmed down a bit since the other day?
    • Posted

It depends on the day. Some days are much better than most. Which makes me think it's possible health anxiety. 

• Posted

It depends on the day. Some days are much better than most. Which makes me think it's possible health anxiety. 

• Posted

• Posted

• Posted

Don't worry about the types of chest pain mate, I've had everyone imaginable, short sharp stings, heavy crushing, chest pains that took my breath a little bit..

I've had every test going on my heart and they've all come back normal, the more you concentrate on your heart the more symptoms you'll get from it. 

• Posted

I'm 17 aswell and I have a resting heart rate of 140 I've been in A&e several times I've called 111 countless times and been told it's anxiety every time. I'm now in beta blockers for anxiety but my doctors want me to monitor my heart rate for a few weeks as there could be something underlying. My heart rate has always been quite high even when I'm sat doing absolutely nothing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.