Anxiety or heart problems? PLEASE HELP

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 17 years old and have been completely healthy all of my life till recently. 

I am worried that my symptoms are heart related or simply just an anxiety problem.

I have been worried about a bowel problem which has recently been diagnosed as proctitis. However, I am awaiting results to find out whether it is caused by Crohns or something else. I also have recently started sixth form at a different school (September) which I really do not like. My illness meant that I have had time off and are struggling to catch up with mock exams looming and a lot of work to do. This is why I think it may be anxiety related, but I am a complete hypochondriac about EVERYTHING, so I can't relax about it. I have a headache and are conviced its something more, it's a habit. 

As for my symptoms, I sometimes have palpitations and feel as though my heart skips a beat then beats harder to make up for both of them. When waiting to be consulted about my bowel problem, I felt my chest be squeezed down with a lot of pressure and as though I couldn't breath. My chest pain is worse when I am not doing anything and I do not have it when I exercise. My chest pain is usually sharp, but can sometimes be dull and I can almost tell everytime exactly where it hurts (usually close to my left armpit next to my breast). When my heart beats faster I panic and find it harder to breathe and struggle to calm myself down. Weirdly, sometimes my lips and teeth feel numb. I sometimes feel sick but that may be due to something else. I have a habit of googling symptoms which only worries me more, and after reading about heart problems causing jaw pain and pain in my left arm I suffered from this after. So is it all in my head?

My parents are pretty convinced it's something to do with anxiety but I have a habit of expecting the worse. In lesson I find myself hunched or with my teeth clenched, which could be related to my jaw pain?

Is anyone else suffering from these symptoms or know whether it is anxiety?

It would be a great help. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

chest pain is something most of us have each day i have chest pain everyday without fail for a year ! 

i also have breathing problems everyday that i am having to teach myself its anxiety 

i clench my teeth too and i get jaw arm and even finger pain iv had ambulance out to check if im having heart attack before too so it does sound like anxiety hun .

although if you have not had it checked out get it checked for piece of mind 

its amazing what stress/anxiety especially health anxiety can do to your body and mind !

hypercondria can do all sorts of things to you 

hope you feel better soon xxx

• Posted

I was thinking about going to the doctors about it but I really don't like going. My friends at school have also suffered from a similar chest pain and one has been to the doctor and they think it is due to stress. I just can't help but think knowing my luck, I will be the one that will be ill.

Thank you for you answersmile

• Posted

hi there.i have same problems with my heart too and it started when I was in your age.absoultly no problem with your heart or other parts of your body.only thing you need is learning how you manage your anxiety.good luck to you;-)
    • Posted

That is relieving hearing that!! Hopefully I will be able to, thank you so much for replyingsmile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.