Anxiety or Hiatus hernia?

Posted , 4 users are following.

about 2 years ago I visited the doctor with symptoms of fatigue and palpitations, after a blood test for an overactive thyroid I was told it was anxiety and given beta blockers to control my fast heart rate. I was never fully convinced but accepted it, since then I paid the doctor another visit seeking ways to control the anxiety as I did not want to rely on the beta blockers. I was then refered to a stress control workshop - didn't really help.

When I was a baby I had a hiatus hernia and had to be fed this special milk, I have assumed because of this the heartburn / acid reflux I experience very frequently (around twice a week on average) was normal. More recently this seems to have gotten worse and now the symptoms of heartburn, coupled with a burning sensation in my chest and occasional stomach pain haven't subsided in about a week. Could this be the return of the hernia? Is this perhaps what has been wrong the whole time?

i have just started a new job and so being anxious is quite likely and this is the reason I haven't already visited the doc. I plan to make an appointment for later this week but would like some other opinions.

full list of symptoms:

heartburn about twice a week

burning sensation in throat and chest

struggle swallowing some foods, especially potato and bread

Fast heart rate / palpitations 

recently pain in stomach, just under right rib cage

Fatigue / feel week. Especially early mornings.

occasionally my hands shake

occasionally struggle to catch breath

sweating a lot

shivering even though sweating

night sweats

Thanks.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

wrong category, clearly. Can a moderator please move this to Reflux
  • Posted

Sounds like the menopause to me!

Seriously though, sounds horrible and it really could be a combination of everything. I don't know about the fast heart rate and medications for that but everything else to me sounds more like the hernia than stress, but with all the worrying about the symptons, and now the new job, I am not surprised you have all the other symptons like breathlessness and shaking hands etc.

Clearly your doctor needs to do a few more tests and you really need to push this as it is ludicrous to just say stress and chuck some tablets at you because this definitely sounds more like a hernia.

Saying that, it could also be gall stones. I say that because I had them some years ago and all the symptons are very much like you describe and when I first attended the doctor he thought I had hernia or ulcer and told me to eat low fat and sent me away. After several weeks of agony and symptons such as you describe I ended up one night in a&e as tought I was having a heart attack. Anyway, long story short, thank god we had private health as sorted out in matter of days - gall stones!

You may wish to push your doctor to check all of these as they always, for some reason, ignore gall bladder and since I had the problems I have know many people who have these symptons only to be sent away by doc for whatever reason and after many many months of stress and pain turns out to be gall stones. It's a really easy check to see, and the symptons are so like hernia and ulcers, and severe stress related symptons, that I don't know why they don't automatically check this.

So, yes you are on the wrong forum, but thought I would reply anyway. Go back to your doc and push them - not acceptable to send you away with a half heated attempt as sorting it out.

Good luck.

• Posted

Paul I was not toooo happy being put on Beta blockers. I shed them by playing keyboard for 30 minutes before going to bed. I then ONLY watched comedy before going to sleep. If you can convince your wife to pat you on the head you will find this helps also!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.