Anxiety or not?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I'm a 17 year old male who has been told since the age of 14 I have anxiety. Since then I have developed a range of physical symptoms including heart palpitations, racing heart, sore heads, forehead pressure and recently it has been severe numbness In my arms, legs and most of all my face. I have a severe obsession about my health and I freak out at any pain whatsoever. When I get this numbness I honestly feel I am having a stroke and if my heart rate exceeds 80 bpm I think there is something seriously wrong with me. I check my pulse around every hour too. All the professionals I have seen including my most recent psychiatrist say these physical symptoms are caused by anxiety. I have recently started quetiapine (anti psychotic) and I just don't know what to think. Any ideas?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It is indeed all anxiety brother.. I go through the same exact thing except I am dealing with dizziness on top of it because I have something going on with my inner ear. I'm sorry you have to go through it. It will pass though man, nothing lasts forever.
    • Posted

Cheers man, its really good to hear someone else's perspective on this! Its an awful thing isn't it? I really appreciate your help! Thanks alot dude!
    • Posted

Yeah it's horrible, it's not dangerous though. It's just absolutely terrifying. It's always good to talk to other people because it helps knowing other people go through the same as you. You are not alone.

• Posted

Hey i get this too....and i get numbness all over my body,blocked ears, dizziness...i hate it....but my doctor says its anxiety...
    • Posted

Yeah its not nice at all. I really have a hard time believing its all in my head because it all feels so real? Its such a vicious cycle because when I feel the numbness I get even more anxious and it leads to a panic attack because I think what I'm feeling is something so much more sinister..

• Posted

This is what anxiety does to you. It is in the nature of anxiety to worry and freak out about everything especially your health. It is all rubbish. There is nothing wrong with you apart from anxiety which can cause you no harm. It's just very difficult to believe it because the symptoms and thoughts seem so real. Hope the quetiapine helps. Although it is an anti-psychotic it doesn't mean that you are psychotic. At the lower dose it is used as a mild sedative. I use it to help me sleep. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.