Anxiety over Being Underweight

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have caught 4 stomach bugs in the past 2 months, and I am withdrawing from medication. I keep losing weight, and I'm already very underweight (not due to an eating disorder). I desperately want to gain weight, but it seems futile. Any suggestions? It's worrying me to no end. 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Try not to worry I am sure there is a simple explanation for all of this.

The bug may not have completely gone yet hence the signs and symptoms. You mentioned that you were withdrawing from a drug. I wondered which one it was. Thanks.

• Posted

I think the stomach issues now are from withdrawal. sad I was on mirtazapine. It's terrible to come off of. And I was only on it for 2 months!

• Posted

Sounds like it . I empathise.I would speak to your dr about this. The dr may prescribe immodium for you to slow the bowel and stomach down whilst the withdrawal is under way to make you feel more comfortable.
  • Posted

First off, have you spoken to your doctor? 

Is it possible that these "stomach bugs" are symptoms of the withdraw? 

• Posted

I have! He says to go back on the med. But since the withdrawal was so horrible, and now I'm doing a little better, I don't want to go back on. It was causing lots of problems. sad The first few bugs were bugs, but this one is from withdrawal. I just stopped 5 days ago. I just can't lose any more weight. rolleyes

• Posted

I am sure when you feel better, stop stressing over it and are completely off the medication withdraws, you will start to get healthier. When you feel better you can start drinking more protein based things and eat higher calorie foods. Let your body adjust. Just try to stay and healthy as ossible through the time being! Eat light stuff, so as not to upset your stomach! Eat yoguts, light soups, jello, small pices of toast, some scrambled eggs. Just until you can handle eating agian. I get really ill when I have bad axiety episodes and can't eat. I have to force myself to eat little things. Sometimes my anxiety makes me throw up as well. Good luck. 

• Posted

Hi again. You can seek advice from a pharmacist about the advisability of starting Immodium to make you more comfortable. You decide what medication you take. Perhaps the dr could suggest an alternative .
    • Posted

I know I will! I'm just hoping it starts soon. smile I'm doing my best! Everything makes me uncomfortable, but I keep it all down, which is good! Today the anxiety from withdrawal is hitting me hard. Worse than before I started the medication! But I've been able to cook and eat close to normally. Just nervous about continuing to lose. sad

• Posted

Hello! That's a good idea. I have immodium, but the nausea is the biggest problem! The other end is fine. Haha. :P

• Posted

Hi again

Ha, ha.

​I would advise drinking lots of water to dilute the drug and flush it through your  kidneys . I know you are nauseated but try to take sips of water. You may like to take  some bicarbonate  of soda for the nausea.Just a quarter of a teasponnful in about half a tumbler of water.

Might be a good idea to get your thyroid checked in view of the weight loss, happened to me.

• Posted

Good idea! I always need more water anyway. Thank you for the tips! My thyroid levels were checked at my last doc appt since it runs in the family, but I'm all clear! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.