Anxiety over heart issues

Posted , 6 users are following.

For starters I am a healthy young 30 year old male. About a year an a half ago I under went several heart tests. I had sworn I had a problem. Little did I know it was anxiety. Even when I came to terms with the fact that I had anxiety I still refused to believe that didn't have a heart issue. Needless to say, all tests (EKG, holster monitor, stress test, chest X Ray, blood work, and echocardiogram) came back normal. I was told I had a perfectly strong healthy heart. Since then my anxiety towards my heart went away. However recently, in the past month I've out of the blue started experiencing heart palpitations where it feels like my heart skips a beat. It comes and goes and sometimes is short lived, other times stays a while. Of course as with any anxiety you begin to make the problem get even bigger. Now experience slight chest pain. Light headedness, all the trademark anxiety symptoms. I'm almost certain it's just anxiety trying to come back, especially seeing as I had all those test not that long ago. But yet there's that little nagging thought that makes me think it's more than anxiety. That a heart condition has developed in that short period of time since I was tested. Is that even possible? I keep having this fear that I'll drop of a heart attack or something else. I guess I'm here just to vent and see what feedback I can get from people who can relate to this.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tom,

im exactly the same as you, obsessed with my heart, i too have had all the tests including MRI CT scans etc, 

My doctor has just changed my meds and ive started CBT im really hopingthis helps, do you take anything for your anxiety?

Rachel 

• Posted

Hi Rachel. Thank you very much for your reply. I currently don't take anything for my anxiety. I've always wanted to try the approach of not having to take medication for my anxiety. I'm certainly not knocking anyone who chooses that path. I just always wanted to try ulterior methods.
    • Posted

hi tome you can refre yourself for CBT, or ask doctor too, ive started and i think i mayhelp, 
  • Posted

This is just how health anxiety works unforuntaltly, no amount of test or reassurance will ever help.  The only way to move past it is to recognise it as a symptom of anxiety and deal with the root anxiety and not try to deal with the health worries- as that will never stop while the main anxiety is still an issue
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply and advice. I greatly appreciate it!
  • Posted

Your definitely not alone, I to deal with irregular heart beat here and there, chest pains and I also did seek help because I didn't know what it was. I have a sickness so every 4 years I would get an echo done but I understand where your coming from. Anxiety can control many parts of your body and especially your nerves to have you worried and wondering that somethings wrong. I dealt with anxiety Since 10 years old I'm 23 now so I've been through the ins and outs of anxiety my whole life to the point I take pills. Just hang in there anxiety feeds off fear remember that smile hope you feel better soon
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply Chantelle. Living with anxiety is a real pain but it feels good to know it's not just me and that I'm not going crazy. I appreciate your advice!
  • Posted

Everyone gets heart palpitations from time to time, the difference here is as soon as you felt it you instantly thought there was a problem, which made you anxious and exacerbated the symptoms. With such a rigorous testing phase you went through, I highly doubt there's anything wrong with your heart. It's a strong muscle, it can take a lot of beating and I can't see what you could've done to suddenly develop a heart condition. Rewind back to the time when you accepted it was anxiety, focus on that and try to remember how you overcome it.
    • Posted

Thank you Howll. Your reply and advice really means a lot. It feels good to know I don't deal with this alone. Once again I appreciate it!
  • Posted

Hi tom, yes I get the skipped beats there called PAC or PVC basically an ectopic (out of place beat) there harmless if there are no heart problems which in your case you can be pretty sure your fine as you've had all the tests. They are a classic anxiety symptom, if there really troublesome talk to your doctor about beta blockers but otherwise just try to ignore them when they happen, I do I know it's easier said that done.

Here if you ever need a chat!

• Posted

Yea, I've read about PVCs. Thank you for your advice on them. I know they're probably harmless especially in my case. They're just nerve racking and I've never had them before so it makes it difficult to just just my brain off to them. But you're right, the more I ignore it the better it will be
  • Posted

sometimes we have to tell our anxiety, I know its you.  I don't want to deal with you right now.  Set some time for just letting yourself to have anxiety, they call it "flooding" might try that?  I believe it is common for us anxiety suffers to think it is a heart attack we are having, and/or in my case was going crazy.  Learning to meditate, guided meditation what have ya.  Allows you to have the thoughts, learn to let them float in our heads and out.  Because meditation teaches to accept the thoughts and let the float away, and refocus on relaxing.  Give it a try.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.