anxiety/panic attack help

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ive recently started suffering with anxiety, think its been building up over last year or so since my mum became ill.ive also had a few panic attacks whilst out and feel really panicky sometimes when I know I have to go out! I dont think I can còpe with this much longer as I am under a lot of pressure at the moment.can anybody recommend something I can take to help? Ive been prescribed citalopram but reluctant to go down that road.

1 like, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi I understand a 100% I was the same. I was on citalopram for years then when I was put on sertreline I started feeling better. I still have a bad day sometimes but it's down to taking diazepams which is a valium which are great for anxiety panic attacks but soon became addition to them, so please stay away from valium. Its a dark road to recovery from. Take care. Just try and control the wired attacks by your self much better than pills
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi thanks for your reply, so you dont recommend starting the citalopram for anxiety then? Ive read theres loads of bad side effects aswell.ive just started using kalms but doubt they will be strong enough to make an impact.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Only you know your body if you think the citalopram not helping then ask your doctor about sertreline or something else. The aim is to learn to control them wired feeling s it will take take, but don't worry about it its the way it works. The brain need time to heal. Writing a dairy day by day helps. Cause you will be able to notice your feelings changing trust your judgement. Doctors int always right. And remember that you are not alone so many people suffer from this. Just never take valium or sleeping pills. Also have a look at you tube people upload videos of them self's and there experience on this. Be strong and remember a panic attack won't kill you even that you think you are. Tell your friends family always good to to about how your feeling. Good luck
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I had lot of help from cognitive behaviour therapy,I think it's great  but its not a cure that's the thing .eating cottage cheese and avacadosm help as they help increase dopamine levels .aromatherapy also helps but I do understand its horrible feeling when u got those physical sensation while out and about 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Loulou, I was perscribed that medication several years ago and upon trying it the first time I had a worse reaction of panic than not taking it. Sometimes it's better to try to manage the attacks head on VS medication. I'm not opposed to meds I'm just a believer that it's not always the answer. My question is what are you in fear of? Most people fear dying I know I have. But whats going on is in your mind not in your body. If you have had a physical or been told by the doctor that your fine physically then the next thing is to figure out whats in your mind.

I suggest a few things to try. First of all Breath!! most take shallow breaths and that causes anxiety. place your hand on your tummy and take a breath and hold it for 8 to 10 seconds. do that about 4 times. Next stop body scanning! people with panic scan the body to see what is hurting or changing like tingling,numbeness,rapid heart rate,lightheadedness etc. your mind will cause your body to produce the very thing you fear most. The more you fear the more your body releases a chemical that is only suppose to be there in a life threatening situation. The more you fear in your mind the more this chemical releases till it's full blown and your out of control. Vision a big red SToP SIGN and say the word outloud STOP! this will jar your mind into a response of stopping. Do that several times if needed. Also put on music and sing out loud. When your speaking out loud your mind can't think about the attack and calms itsself. I also recommend relaxation videos. you can find them on youtube. just for panic and anxiety. It's better if you face the panic instead of trying to run from it. The more you say to yourself I'm Having a  Panic Attack and then press into it the less fearful it becomes. Hope this helps Blessings

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi thanks for your advice and taking the time to reply, some really good tips makes a lot of sense thanks.i been like this for a while but got worse last few weeks since my mum came home from hospital as theres no treatment they can give her for cancer so just caring for her at home.these anxiety attacks are making things harder if thats possible
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I can understand you loulou I had also cancer and I know it's not easy for people closest to you ! Try to use healing code book for getting help because cancer has underlying cause and u got to heal that ,don't give up the hope not for yourself or for your mom . 
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up