Anxiety/Panic attacks

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone have any tips to control anxiety/panic attacks? I've been having a lot more lately. Yesterday alone I had 3 in one day!!

Any tips would help thank you guys.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I get severe anxiety every afternoon.  the only thing that helps is taking an anti-anxiety med.
  • Posted

If, when you are having one you can realise it's to do with adrenalin in the body then you can try and tell yourself that and breathe through it until it subsides. I no it doesn't feel like it but the more times you can do it it will become an automatic response. Gradually you will become in control xx

• Posted

That's exactly what I need to do is learn how to control rm in a positive way!

• Posted

No matter what is written here during an actual panic attack it becomes a mess. There are skills and tool you can aquire, and would have to be acquired first. Therapy and cbt and mindfullness and learning what scientifically is occurring in the body would be the prerequisite before being able to utilize any functional plan of action during a panic attack.unless its medicine and you are lucky enough that that works.thats the the truth. You cant use thought alone and you cant ignore the panic attacks. They dont allow it the mind body connection is so very strong and preprogrammed at this point.. You need a healthy, functional plan in place to get to where you have a go to action when anxiety hits. Saying that..therapy and cbt would be the starting point. If you have to choose between these two id go cbt first. Goal is to properly dismantle your sabotaging thoughts and feelings into becoming functional and manageable. True cbt can take about 30 sessions, many get way less. You can learn it professionally then get a cbt workbook and book and even a app to continue doing it. It is hands on must do all the time. Yes its exhausting but to put into place a hieracrchy of thinking this is what needs to be done to break the cycle. At the end of the cbt session you would need an experienced compassionate therapist to keep you alert and and aware of your thoughts and teach you more skills and if possible awaken you to understand you might not be able to "reset" all this but it can be managed. Then based on the science we do have, go on a clean diet because inflammation is strongly connected to anything related to anxiety disorders and depression.  Walk alot, daily its a form of relaxation and aids the body to better function.  Some have had this so long it effects the soul. It creeps deep into a person. Thats something you have to look into and find what resonates with you. This disorder will change every aspect of you. On a positive it can wake you up and form a new you, a stronger you and a better you. But to get from point a to b is a huge journey. If this is a life lesson of some sort its a tremedous one and feel honored you have been selected because it takes an extrodinary amount if intelligence, compassion, open mind, spirituality and energy to functionally exist and be able to retrieve into your mind to be content or happy. It would be higher on maslows hierarchy then most or the average person. But few get there and many just basically survive or worse they fall as a victim to it. I dont know if this is simply some virus that effected the brain, inflammed it or what have you that caused the fight or flight to go in overdrive  or its really just something we have programmed into us. All i do know is we have a hierarchy of thinking available to us because we are humans and can learn to over ride the defunt here. One day science will figure it out but they have to "reset" this malfunction. They cant remove it its an inborn instinctual survival thing thats involved. To remove fear is dangerous and you can imagine what that would do to a bunch of people who exist with no fears. Too dangerous. So we have to do this on our own at this point in time. Use the hierarchy of thought and action equally to manage it. They have used a spect xray to determine that cbt works, meditation (many types) work, therapy ..depending on your own experiences can work, medicine if your body accepts it can work but its not a long term fix, soiritual healing works (that is not religion by the way but can be) laughing works, love works (self love or being in a loving enviornment) learn. Knowledge is power here. Acceptance is vital to move forward. Forgiveness for those that did you wrong, including yourself is imperative. So what works? There is not one thing that works its a uhual of yourself.its a lifestyle you develop with an open mind and a ton of self love. 

• Posted

There was just noway to answer in a few lines.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply! It means a lot that you put that much thought and effort into replying to me!

I have been attending cbt sessions for 8 weeks now and like that it makes me feel better afterwards but it could be as little as a few hours later and I'll be back to square one!

Your reply touched a soft spot with me and made me feel a lot better about myself so I want to thank you!

• Posted

My tip to you is stop the madness, and call your family doctor right away and start on a antidepressant. You must feel so paralized. How your even can type is a miracle. Please do yourself a favor.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply!

Yes I think medication is the next step.. I was on anxiety medication when I was 17/18years old which is about 5 years ago now when it all started. It helped and I weaned myself off it after 18 months but I don't want to be dependent on them!

The attacks are gradually getting worse! I was driving one day and one came on me was such a scary experience cause I happened to be driving along the canal in heavy traffic and couldn't pull in anywhere so not only was I having a panic attack I was trying to concentrate on driving!

Thank you for your reply it means a lot! It's great to know I'm not alone

• Posted

Not sure why my reply is being moderated, but I will reply again. Do yourself a favor and call your family doctor right away and get on a antidepressant . There is no stopping this nasty anxiety, and terrible panic attacks. These symptoms take over, and you can't get rid of them

• Posted

Probably posted a link. The computer programs are designed to catch a link even before it's read by the moderator. See...why?

They just don't allow links to other websites they are designed to send referal links on their own web site. There are many helpful links on the side bar and under patient referals. 

• Posted

Something can be triggering the panic attacks. Are you taking any meds for this? Or talk therapy?

When we are stressed out, our bodies respond by releasing a hormone called cortisol. This causes anxiety attacks which can be debilitating. 

Sometimes anxiety medication can help control the hormones that cause anxiety or panic attacks. Too much adrenalin adds to panic attacks.the old fight or flight response.

I have had a great deal of improvement in my life as well as learning coping tools and finding things that I like doing to stay busy. I find a sense of accomplishment by doing something productive is a great way to cope.

Anxiety producing stimuli causing panic attacks an is a accumulative condition.The more anxiety conditions in life the worse the symptoms. That means it's best to avoid anxiety producing situations while learning coping techniques along the way which can improve the extreme anxiety that leads to panic attacks.

In my experience medications to balance hormone release and talk therapy can improve anxiety in our daily lives.

In today's world most people experience anxiety to different degrees daily. Learning coping tools and medications is our best defense.

This is my experience shared with you, hope it can give you some insight into why and what is causing the anxiety & in many cases people suffer from panic attacks and don't even realize it. 

It's a lot like having a broken arm , going to the dr & having the arm reset. In a way medication helps reset the good hormones released and helps us become better equipped to handle daily recurring anxiety in our lives.

Peace & Heeling

• Posted

I'm not currently on any meds at the min.. But I think I will need to go back on them! Most of the time I know what triggers them but lately I've been waking up at 5/6am and having theses attacks and it's a horrible way to start the day!

Thank you for your reply!

• Posted

You should go to a cool place. Inhale as deep as you can and try to hold it for 5 second than exhale it for 7 seconds. Try to tell yourself that you can control your body and what you are feeling is nothing serious.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.