Anxiety, panic attacks and constant worrying.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm 22 years old with a history of severe depression. I have spent a lot of time in therapy which has been wonderful - I wish I could afford it at the moment because my anxiety is getting on top of me.

I have many rational worries - from if I have left the car unlocked to if I have left the iron on. I also have very irrational worries which I have never voiced out loud. One recurring thought is that I will accidentally cause a car accident. Sometimes I worry so much about this that I have to check my rear view mirror for signs of an injured cyclist or a car that has swerved. If I leave my bedroom to go to the toilet of an evening I have to turn the light on to check that nobody is hiding in the dark and waiting to assault me. It sounds absurd and I am so ashamed but sometimes I wake up and check the lock hasn't been broken because for a split second I feel as though somebody has been in my room.

Today I convinced myself there was somebody else in my (empty) house. I checked all of the doors to find they were locked and began to rationalise that they had found a way through a window. My first thought was to find something to use to defend myself...I quickly brushed this off.

I feel like I am no longer in control and it is interfering with my life. I experience crippling chest pains to the point where I have been hospitalised, I had to leave work on Monday with similar symptoms. I am literally sick with worry.

I'm sorry for the length of this post, I would just like to know that I'm not going crazy.

1 like, 20 replies

Report / Delete

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I suffer from social anxiety mostly but this is interesting to read about the different types of anxiety. Anxiety often comes from past events that have effected you in a way that shocks your brain so bad you become overly causious of it. Like me i was hit in the face and kicked at school by about 40 people. Ever since i have been socially anxious. You on the other hand have worries about cars. Is their an incident in your past to do with cars or a car crash? and also have you ever been burgled? sorry if i come across quite bluntly, i can be that way very often. And I get heart and chest pains when i used to have panick attacks, maybe its that?
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Aiden,

I have in fact never been burgled or been in a car crash which is why both fears strike me as very irrational.

Please don't worry about sounding blunt - I think it is hard to read somebody's tone online but I don't mind your questions at all.

So sorry to hear about your attack, it is no wonder you have anxiety in social situations. I do associate the chest pain with anxiety now but on the odd occasion I will get crippling pains when I am very relaxed, e.g. lying in bed reading a book.

Thanks for your response.

Lou

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

hmm it could be muscle twitches you know. when i was lying in bed reading i would get a pain also. i went to the doctors and it was actually just my muscles were twitching because i was lying in an awkward position for long periods of time. and i am lost to what your anxiety is about but i wish you all the best with that smile
      Report / Delete Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up