Anxiety & paranoia over health issues

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey guys. I have a history of stomach problems which has taken a serious toll on me mentally. I did some tests and thankfully nothing life threatening was found. I was put on medication which has helped, though I still get flare ups from time to time. The problem is that I've developed anxiety and paranoia about my health. For example, someone visited my house who had a virus and now I'm terrified that I might catch it. Don't know if it's contagious or not. I'm in bed and just started to get flu like symptoms. Hoping it's just a minor cold and not a virus. I'm so fed up of being sick. Any advice? 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Anxiety has a way of creating negative and fearful thinking. The best thing you can do for yourself is go on with your life. Practice healthy habits like washing your hands, eating healthy  and exercise.

None of us know if we’re going to catch a virus but worrying about it a lot will lower your immune system so that you will be more vulnerable to catching something. You can actually were yourself into getting sick! I have done it. Worry is just a wasted  and useless emotion.

I also have stomach issues and was diagnosed with gastritis which flares up every now and then. All I can really do is be careful what I eat and I work out three times a week  , And eat a lot of greens that are high in antioxidants.

We don’t have to be obsessive about this, just take care of ourselves the best we can. Even if you have a virus, you’re going to be OK

.  I don’t get sick nearly as much as I used to ever since I started taking care of myself. Practice healthy habits is really important! 🌸🌸🌸😁

• Posted

You're so right about worry being a useless emotion. I'm slowly learning to not be obsessive and let negative thoughts about my health consume me. Once my tests don't show anything life threatening and I know I'm practicing healthy habits, I'm going to go on with my life as per normal. Flare ups will happen now and then but can be easily controlled with some medication. It can be scary sometimes but we have to be strong minded. At one point, I thought I had stomach cancer but a friend re-assured me that if I did, I would be in a MUCH worse state and wouldn't be able to function, so I have sort of ruled that out. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.