Anxiety/Paranoid about having Hodgkins Lymphoma

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. I know that this is an anxiety website but I have anxiety about Hodgkins Lymphoma. I'm 17 and my mom says I'm fine and that I'm a hypochondriac. I'm just so worried that I have that cancer. I don't have the symptoms though. I haven't lost weight, I'm not itching, I dont get night sweats, I'm not overly tired, my lymph nodes aren't swollen, and I haven't lost my appetite. As it is, last night i ate 4 tacos. Today for breakfast i ate a bagel, and for lunch 6 tacos and in the middle of the day a bag of popcorn and tonight i ate two sloppy joes and potatoes. Would i eat that much if i had cancer? I sometimes feel dizzy and I'm so scared that I'm gonna lose my appetite. Am i being anxious about this? Am i being way over paranoid? What are your thoughts? Again, I'm 17 and i know Hodgkins is the most common cancer between 15-35. I also understand it's a very rare cancer. Your opinions?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Do you see a therapist? Any illness causes anxiety and it would most likely be very comforting for you to be in some sort of support group or therapy. Its a lot to hold in and deal with by yourself.
  • Posted

Do you have a therapist or a counsellor or someone who can help?
  • Posted

Hi Mark,

I'm going to assume you live in the UK along with what, ninety million other people? Hodgkins Lymphoma is extremely rare - only 2400 cases diagnosed in the UK last year. So the odds of you having it are really, really incredibly small. I'm curious why you think you might have Hodgkins specifically? Is it because you are in that higher risk age group? (Which is 18 to 24 actually). Or is there some other reason? I'm also curious why your mom thinks you are a hypochondriac? What do you think?

Aside from this attachment to Hodgkins, have you had a history of illness? It's good that you have a healthy appetite but I'm not sure 6 tacos for lunch is a wise food choice. Lots of tacos, sloppy joes, popcorn andf potatoes. Not seeing any fruit and veggies in there, Mark. Processed food contains massive amounts of salt and all kinds of crap, crap that affects your brain and the way it works. I'm not being judgemental here, Mark. I'm just concerned you might be creating some of your anxiety through your diet. Any chance you could add some dark green veggies and a bunch of berries to your daily intake? Nothing wrong with the popcorn, it's what you put on it that counts. Salt and hot butter makes it taste good but you boy, it sure packs on the calories.

Stay in touch, Mark. There are a lot of great people on this site snd they can help pull you through this.

best always,

myc.

• Posted

I would be very surprised if you had cancer at your age. It is very rare.  You have a good red meat appetite.  Try and eat more veg though and fruit and that is a good way to keep cancer at bay.

Rich

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.