Anxiety? Perimenopause? Both? Overwhelming Physical Symptoms.

Posted , 7 users are following.

[I also posted this in the Menopause forum as I wasn't sure which area was more appropriate....forgive the duplication]:

So....I'll try to be brief. I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder last March, after suffering a panic attack while traveling for business. Since then, I've had a multitude of daily physical symptoms...dizziness/lightheadedness, body aches, headaches, insomnia, night sweats, increased body temperature, feeling weak in my limbs, general fatigue, shakiness....you name it, I've had it. I've just about worn out my welcome at my GP's office, I've been there so often....I've been to the emergency room four times, had an MRI, multiple ECGs, countless rounds of bloodwork, an upper endoscopy...everything comes back clear. So why do I feel so sick all the time? I did have my hormone levels checked, and my doctor confirmed that I'm at least perimenopausal (I'm 45 years old)....could all of these symptoms (and truly, they occur daily) be related to perimeopause? I've developed a serious issue wtih health anxiety due to all of this, because I can't accept that these symptoms are harmless...I'm convinced that something catastrophic is wrong with me. Help!!!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Listen to me! Don't go crazy! And don't do what I did I'm so deep in medical bills ($3000) because of anxity! It will do all you just mentioned and more! Just wait till the numbing comes around your will think for sure you have ms or about to have a stroke! It's all anxity hun trust me. I have it bad and now I'm on valium and xanax they help ALOT! keep calm you want die trust me if I'm alive $3000 later you will be as will all my test cleared and I'm healthier then ever! God bless hope this help smile

Ps: I still have all the symptoms you listed.. 

• Posted

Hi miguel1990....thanks for replying. Sadly, I've already spent a fortune on the medical testing, and I don't feel any less anxious because of the clear results (that should teach me a lesson, I suppose). Mostly out of desperation, I started taking Celexa last week (20mg for three days, 10mg for five days, and then stopped at the advice of my doctor....the side effects were unmaageable). I had previously taken Ativan on an as-needed basis, and that was working pretty well for me, but I stopped taking it late last year because I didn't want to become dependent on them. Interestingly, I felt great for a month or two, and then the anxiety started up again...so very frustrating. I'm so sorry that you're going through the same struggles....I just want to be my old self. It's very sad when I think about the fact that I used to be so independent and outgoing and now it's a chore to even go to the store...and I used to travel all over the place by myself without even a second thought. I'm going to give CBT another try (it helped last year), as I really don't want to be on medication (my anxiety about taking it far exceeds any helpful benefit it might offer).....here's hoping for better days!
    • Posted

I really wish I could do something to help you rolleyes 

I know you don't want to be depending on a drug but you have to think about it. if it was making you feel better maybe its the right thing for you at the moment I'm not a doctor or anything like that but I think you should go back and talk to your doctor about getting back on your meds. the way I see it we are dependent on air and water if we don't have water we die if we don't have any or we die. And when you are ready to come off the doctor will help you he will guide you so that you don't have any withdrawal symptoms. And it's like you said it was only used as needed. Ask him about valium the effects last up to 8 hr and you can get stuff done! there is no reason why you should be living the way we are living. sad

• Posted

I think I'm going to try taking the Ativan again on a strictly as-needed basis (I take a VERY low dose and it's similar to both Xanax and Valium, in that it's fast-acting)....if it helps, I'll at least know that what I'm feeling is anxiety. I'm definitely not (mentally/emotionally) ready for longer-term antidepressant medication (like Celexa)....I am a compulsive Google symptom-checker (a terrible habit, I know!) and I had myself worked into a frenzy about side effects and withdrawl symptoms before I even took the first pill...I suspect that's part of the reason I experieced such horrifying side effects...the mind is a pretty powerful tool!
    • Posted

Good! I'm glad you are going back smile you won't regret doing so! And do away with Dr. Google AND Dr. WebMD all they do is add to the stress! I'm telling you this and I need to apply it to my self but it's soooo hard you have to be strong. Trust me it's all in our heads and the funny thing is that we know this deep down like the last post said lol. Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi Wearykitty,

So glad I read your post. It really hit home with me. I'm 47 now but started going through menopause about 10 years ago. During that time I noticed that my anxiety levels increased to the point where I don't feel like th happy independent woman that I used to be. It is a chore going to the store or even taking a shower. Also went through the health anxiety as well and have had a few trips to the ER with chest pains etc. I'm trying bioidentical hormone therapy again combined with a low dose of prozac. Hoping to find some relief and find the woman that I used to be. I feel for you. Please let me know how you make out.

• Posted

Anxiety and health anxiety are so debilitating they really are. I know how it is for every single sensation to somehow signify something terrible. Even though deep down u know ure OK, every other part of you knows your not. All I can say is that when you deal with the underlying anxiety with meds or therapy things will start to improve. Oh and never ever google symptoms! We've all done it but by doing that we are just feeding the obsessions
    • Posted

My sweet (and beyond patient) boyfriend has threatened to disable Google on my electronic devices....it's a crazy addiction and you're right, no good EVER comes of it.
    • Posted

Its a natural thing to do, to seek reassurance, but it never ever works. Now when I feel the need to google I stop and just do something else. It makes sense to prepare ourselves for danger, the problem is there is no danger at all
  • Posted

I'm 47, single mom. Everything hit the fan for me last year and have been struggling to get through everyday since with work and home demands. I can't take hormone therapy. Was occasionally getting some hot flashes prior.  Was not sexually active for quite a long time because of work and kid demands. Periods were always brutal but were starting to miss and then didn't have for almost three months.  Started a  beautiful new relationship and then my whole world went to hell in a hand basket. I began having hotflashes and night sweats back to back-nonstop. My breasts enlarged in as much that men at work were noticing and asking questions.Then periods returned to what was used to and I insisted on IUD with doctor to avoid pregnancy at my age.  That went well for a few months but then I started bleeding all the time, was exhausted in pain and miserable. Removed the IUD, bleeding and cramping stopped. Now just unbalanced and hormone miserable. I have never been so happy to have someone perfect in my life but absolutely miserable, depressed and out of sorts.  I am ashamed that I can't accomplish the most simple of things that I used to, have anxiety and depression overwhelming because of. I can't take any hormone therapy so have no idea how I am going to manage. I feel like implosion too and I have so much that I have worked extremely hard to accomplish at stake. I dont' have any idea how I am going to cope with this appropriately. It is affecting so many aspects of my life and driving me into depression.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.