Anxiety/perimenopause or something else....?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I,ve just had possibly the most frightening 10 days of my life.  On day two of my holiday, which it had been really looking forward to, I suddenly suffered a real "spaced out" kind of feeling, which I just couldn't shake off.  It felt like someone had flicked a switch in my head and I went from being confident, happy and relaxed to feeling like I was totally a different person.  Absolutely horrible.  The fact that it didn't improve left me feeling like I was going mad.  It put such a dampened on the holiday.  When I got home I went straight to the doctors, burst into tears and said I just felt totally spaced out.  With no physical symptoms, she said the most common cause was anxiety.  But I have struggled to fathom this.  Yes I have  quite a stressful job, but I have always managed stress well, with a good outlet in sport.  Today I had a blood test to test for thyroxin, calcium, full count etc and, have asked for FSH, after speaking to my sister, who is a GP..  Am really hoping it shows up something that will explain my feelings.  I just want to feel myself again.  It's horrible.  Anyway, am trying to fathom out whether this is sheer anxiety or perimenopause, or something else?  I am 44.  The other thing is, I was diagnosed several years ago with a prolactinoma, which basically, is a small, benign tumour, which sits on the pituitary gland and affects the levels of prolactin produced.  This can affect oestrogen levels, giving you low oestrogen.  I was on medication for a while until the prolactin levels came back to normal, otherwise there is an increased risk of osteoporosis.  I came off the meds, but recent tests have shown raised prolactin again.  I have never had oestrogen levels checked as they say the levels vary so much, it,s hard to gauge.  anyway, just wondering whether this could all be having an effect?  Any replies grateful received, thankyou

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had a very similar experience whilst on a business trip eighteen months ago...full-blown panic attack which sent me to the emergency room.....and I haven't been the same since that day. Chronic (almost daily) dizziness/lightheadedness, shakiness, fatigue, headaches, muscle aches....I've had every test you can imagine and all have come back fine....doctors (more than one) have all said it's anxiety and that I should take anti-depressants.....I've tried two different medications, but both made the symptoms worse so I had to stop.....currently trying therapy, exercise, yoga, deep breathing and supplements...nothing has really started working yet, but I'm trying to be patient.....it's difficult to know if it's anxiety or perimenopause (or both?) because the physical symptoms all sound so similar....it's very frustrating, and I hope you find something that works for you.....take care.
    • Posted

Hi weary kitty, you poor thing, your experiences sound horrendous.  I hope that all your alternative therapies start to help.  I,ve read lots of people are saying that vitamin b6 really helps.  U've probably tried it?  I must say I am popping vitamins b6 and b12 and kalms like there is no tomorrow....I usually like a beer or two, but am drinking herbal tea by the bucketload to try and stay calm as I am sure this will make things worse.  Should get blood tests on Tuesday x
    • Posted

Bubbins

B6 is great but make sure its a good one like 100mg

Like mega b 100mg complex time release from holland and barret

B12 i suggest Jarrows b12 5000mcg cherry red label 

Weak ones waste of money

B6 changed my life for me, take in morning not at night for energy, 

Good luck hun

Jay xx

• Posted

Hello Wearykitty,

i hope you don't mind me joining your conversation 😊🙏 I am also a slim woman and had never heard before that this could make things worse ? How unfair is that ?? Should have eaten my cream cakes . . . Ha ha ! I I am also struggling with bad Anxiety, and lack of sleep ! Find it hard to get out bed every day !! So horrible isn't it ? Have you had any luck with anything since you last posted ?

hugs to yo

Debbie x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.