Anxiety- possible hyperthyroid

Posted , 4 users are following.

Please help.... I'm a 37 yr old female experiencing severe anxiety, heart palpitations, shortness is breath, weight loss, irritability, cold sweats, tired but can't sleep because of the anxiety. I had acute thyroiditis 7 yrs ago with the same symptoms. It took 4 months for Drs to finally figure out what was wrong. My levels were in range and then finally they went out. Now this time my levels are barely in range and I'm feeling those same symptoms. Was just released from the hospital and was told my heart is fine. My endo won't see me for another month. I tried going to a different endo and he won't treat me because my levels aren't out of range. I'm at my wits end. I know this is my thyroid doing this to me. Has anyone else experienced this?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

You can try taking natural treatments like Bugleweed, Melissa and Motherwort.  You can also take Regular L-Carnitine instead of the Bugleweed as an Italian research study showed that hyperthyroid patients benefit from taking this at a dose of 3,000 to 4,000 mg per day.  I would start slowly to see how you tolerate it at 1,000 mg daily and then if you feel okay, you can increase it.  Vitamin D is extremely important for good thyroid functioning.  I take 1,000 mg a day of Vitamin D.  The Melissa and Motherwort will have a calming effect.  If you have a GP, you might ask to get tested for your Free and Total Carnitine levels, your vitamin D level and your Magnesium level.  
    • Posted

Hi Linda. Thanks for responding. My dr put me on beta blockers instead of the bugleeed. My vitamin D is in range but right at the bottom. My tsh is .390 and the ref range is between .358-3.740 as you can see I'm in range but right at the bottom. My T3 uptake is 38 and the ref range for that is 30-39. Do you know if it's possible I'm feeling so terrible with being in range?

• Posted

Christine ...   Linda's advice is spot on !    those things could 

be most beneficial  to you.

I have Graves' disease ... though Euthyroid at the moment ! 🙏

and  I have taken all of those things Linda mentions ... all to my benefit 

that may make you feel more like your old self Luvvie.

google them all individually to see what you think first . and the very best of luck ..you're  too young to be feeling so bad ... be strong and stay focused on getter better ..

Love Mx🌹

• Posted

Thank you! I will def look into this. I'll do just about anything to feel better. I feel like I'm dying!

• Posted

Christine , believe me Luvvie ..l  do know exactly how you feel ... all I wanted to do , just over a year ago was to go to my bed and ..die .

i was in a state of extreme anxiety and physical shaking , as well as many other awful symptoms .

there are ways to get this down..l did not want to take drugs at all... so after I finished with  Carbimazole  , prescribed by my Endocrinologist.. I  self medicated on minerals  and vitamins ... it can be done that way !

you must try to keep your head clear whilst you do a little research .

dont strain yourself physically .. lie down if and when you can to rest , your body's on high alert and you can make it rest ..and use that time to research 

these minerals and vitamins and take it from there.

stay focused !

Mx🌹

• Posted

Hi christine56714, do you experience the symptoms above all the time or at specific times during the day? Do you know your heart rate (when you are feeling relaxed, not during an anxiety attack)?  Should you have your blood report could you post the thyroid levels including the normal range?
    • Posted

I feel terrible all day! It's hard to say my heart rate because right now I'm on beta blockers. Even on the beta blockers I feel very anxious and heart racing. My tsh is in range but at the bottom end. It's at .390 and the ref range is .358-3.740 my T3 uptake is 38 am the ref range is 30-39. I'm feeling so bad. I finally got an endo appt on Monday. Praying they'll treat me even though I'm still in range.

• Posted

Hi again, I tried to find something about T3 uptake as this was never perfomed during my routine thyroid function tests.

What I got is that:  "This test does not measure thyroid function at all, but thyroid-binding protein saturation. A high T3 uptake means binding proteins are more saturated than normal." (taken from the article: 'Thyroid testing: When to worry (not often) and when to reassure' by Dr Kaplowitz, chief of endocrinology, Children's National Medical Center. 

During your next appointment maybe you could ask to have your Free T4 and Free T3 tested as well. These are the tests that give an indication of the (unbound) available thyroid hormones.  

You could also ask if the endocrinologist might consider prescribing a very low dose of thyroid suppressing medication (for example just 2.5mg Carbimazole).  Hope your next appointment will be with a wise and understanding physician who listens and tries to help you.   

• Posted

They did check my thyroxine T4 which was normal at 10.6 ref range 4.8-13.9 and my free thyroxine index which was also normal 4.0 ref range 1.4-5.4 My TSH which was normal but right on the bottom end was .390 ref range .358-3.740, this level keeps moving down as the month goes on. It went from .9 to .5 to .4 and now to .390, as well as my symptoms getting worse! I pray that on Monday my endo will listen to me and give me at least a low dose of something! Thanks again so much for trying to help me!!
    • Posted

Your TSH is definitely leaning toward the Hyper side (low value = HYPERthyroidism, high value = HYPOthyroidism).  There might be a possibility that you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis.  Hashi patients bounce back and forth between hyper to hypo very quickly.  They do well on Regular L-Carnitine to control and stabilize their thyroid hormones.  Your doc can test antibodies for this.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.